Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?  (Read 8455 times)

benjamin1greer

• MSN Messenger - benjamin1greer@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - benjamin1greer
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - benjamin1greer
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:39 AM »
As depressed as it is when 155 popped up on the LSAT result!

What are the chances for me to get into Fordham, Cardozo or Brooklyn Law school with 155 on LSAT and a CPA license?
Considering the low score on LSAT, I think it's not gonna be easy to get into them.  I heard a lot of people said the Top 50 law school requires 165+  to get in.

So should I just apply and hoping that my CPA will help me a little, or spend more time to study and retake the LSAT?

Yeah no doubt u should apply for Law schools...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:07 AM »
I'll agree with you luck plays a small part in it.  The difference between the 7% and 15% is porbably negligible.  Give each of them a nother chance, and the rankings may flip.  But those in the top 25% are unlikely to find themselves in the bottom 25%, IMO

Yea I would if you really work hard you would be in the top 50%, but there are people whose computers died during the finals so that is certainly luck. Granted you can recover from that, but you lose a few minutes. Also typing ability gives you a huge advantage I mean if you take a typing class and get up to 100wpm you will probably get a higher grade than someone who knows the law as well as you, but types 40wpm. I really think your writing and research grade should make up your ranking and not your ability to answer a MC question. A legal memo is something you actually do in the real world, and not determine if a goes to b and gives him 5$ is their consideration or some b.s. question like that. It just seems like it is measuring the wrong things and making a huge difference in people interviewing and things, I mean it is the system and you have to deal with it, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't change.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
It's funny you mention typing.  I have actually been teaching myself to type the correct way for the exact reason you mention

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
Yea it is very helpful. I can type extremely fast and I really think that was a large part of why I did better than others. As a result of that ability I never ran out of time, but that is b.s. realistically because me finishing 15 minutes earlier doesn't mean I know the law better than anyone else or that I will be a better lawyer. However, it is a very useful skill to have on the exam and you got to deal with the system you are in. You are probably doing the right thing by learning to type fast now.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
I'd rather be frustrated now with typing than in law school

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »
And frustrating it is.  I typed faster with four fingers than I do now with eight (plus the thumbs).  And don't get me started with capitalization :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
Grammar does not matter on the exams or even the bar as long as it is coherent.  When you read the cases there will be judicial opinions with worse grammar than I have writing from an I-Phone.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
With exams, using the fact pattern to identify all issues, and the non-issues as well, is more impoartnat than graamar and some typos?  I find that interesting.  From my understanding, most 1L exmas are closed book, but it opens up typically as you progress to 2L and 3?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Well I think bar required course are closed book, but my one elective class is open book. I think closed book or open book varies from school to school. Honestly, issue spotting is probably the most important thing you need to do on the exam. I guess that would apply to the real world as well if you don't bring up an issue the other side is not going to do it for you. Be careful reading the facts I mean everybody probably misses an issue or two and that is an annoying feeling after you finish and you remember something.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
With exams, using the fact pattern to identify all issues, and the non-issues as well, is more impoartnat than graamar and some typos?  I find that interesting.  From my understanding, most 1L exmas are closed book, but it opens up typically as you progress to 2L and 3?

The trend at the top schools is for open-book throughout.  All my 1L exams were open book (as far as I can remember).  Keep in mind, however, that due to the time crunch, you rarely look at your materials during the exam.  They're mostly there as a crutch to avoid panic.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)