Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?  (Read 8061 times)

haus

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 173
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »
Hamilton,

Thank you for your advice.

The very short version of my reasoning goes like this. I have been working in the field of information security for many years, the biggest problems that I see (over and over again) are not technical, they a instead related to procedures, contracts, and laws (and sometimes the misunderstanding of these factors). Law and information technology (especially information security) do not see eye to eye often. All to often, parties writing contracts for services fail to understand the underlying technology of the services that they are contracting, not surprisingly this can and does lead to devastating results.

I suspect that a niche exist in which I can leverage my technical background with the aide a of a law degree to assist organizations to better understand how to meet their actual (not perceived) legal requirements, and to better shape their contractual dealings with partners/customers especially when it comes to creating contracts related to information security. 

While I do not expect to get fabulously wealthy with this career adventure, I suspect that legal studies would do more to make an impact on these goals then yet another masters or a PhD would accomplish.

bigs5068

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1474
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
There might be a niche, but the reality is that you should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and no other reason. You should go to medical school to be a doctor and to the police academy if you want to be a cop. I hear people at my school say I know I am not going to have a traditonal legal career and I don't want to be a lawyer and I want to say why the hell are you spending 100k then. Law is more broad and has applications in numerous fields, but in reality it is not worth the time and expense to just understand one nuance of the law better in some minor aspect of your career. Again, I am sure there is someone that made a career out of knowing some nuance along with another technical skill, but that is probably not the general case. So bottom line go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and for no other reason.

the white rabbit

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 362
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
So should I just apply and hoping that my CPA will help me a little, or spend more time to study and retake the LSAT?

CPA won't help you in any noticeable way.  Study and retake.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

MeganEW

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
...
The truth is with CUNY's price tag it might be better to go there than Fordham or Brooklyn, where you will go 100,000 in debt and people will still select Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Yale grads over you. I really think unless you go to an ELITE school you should get out with as little debt as possible. People will say different things, but that is my view. The reality is there is no guarantee of a job if you go to law school or any type of schooling. 
...
There is some truth here, but there is a BIG difference from a recruiting standpoint between Fordham and Brooklyn, not to mention CUNY.  Yes, the T14 will be first in line, but mid-T1s still offer far more opportunities than the rest, particularly in the regions where the schools are located.  The top 10% (or more) of Fordham students end up at the same places as the top 50% of NYU students.  The same simply cannot be said for the lower tiers.  Employers do consider how prestigious a school is.  It sucks, but it's true.

Study like crazy and take the LSAT again.  If you still earn a score you're not crazy about but are still intent on law school, go to the best investment (balance the income you expect to get from said school vs. award package you receive / tuition), and network like crazy with the people in your niche industry. 

Good luck! :)
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

Hamilton

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 337
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »
Agree.  If you are not going to be THE lawyer, you will be the guy who has a law degree and knows "something" about these things, but the "lawyers" will be making the decisions and running the show.  The "lawyers" don't want non-lawyers meddling in their business.  I am a lawyer - but within the organization of my company I am not a lawyer working for our legal department - so I am not a lawyer and am not authorized to be involved in legal matters.

There might be a niche, but the reality is that you should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and no other reason. You should go to medical school to be a doctor and to the police academy if you want to be a cop. I hear people at my school say I know I am not going to have a traditonal legal career and I don't want to be a lawyer and I want to say why the hell are you spending 100k then. Law is more broad and has applications in numerous fields, but in reality it is not worth the time and expense to just understand one nuance of the law better in some minor aspect of your career. Again, I am sure there is someone that made a career out of knowing some nuance along with another technical skill, but that is probably not the general case. So bottom line go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and for no other reason.

haus

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 173
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
The end goal is to be the man in charge of InfoSec, perhaps IT as a whole (depending on the organization). The company lawyer will be working on my contracts, and I want to be sure I am in a position to ensure that they do not do as horrible of a job is commonly done in the industry.

bigs5068

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1474
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »

[/quote]
There is some truth here, but there is a BIG difference from a recruiting standpoint between Fordham and Brooklyn, not to mention CUNY.  Yes, the T14 will be first in line, but mid-T1s still offer far more opportunities than the rest, particularly in the regions where the schools are located.  The top 10% (or more) of Fordham students end up at the same places as the top 50% of NYU students.  The same simply cannot be said for the lower tiers.  Employers do consider how prestigious a school is.  It sucks, but it's true.

Good luck! :)
[/quote]

I think this is where people go wrong. Yes if someone finishes in the top 10% at Fordham they will have a lot more doors open to them than if they finish in the top 10% at CUNY. However, there is a 90% chance they will not finish in the top 10% at Fordham in fact there is a 50% chance they will finish in the bottom 50%. If you are in the 50th percentile from Fordham nobody is going to hand you anything, and you are going to be in exorbitantly more debt than if you went to CUNY. Honestly, by the time you pay off the debt you incur from a mid level school you will either have proven you are a good attorney or not and your class and school rank will not even matter anymore.  Again my two cents and views will differ.


marcus-aurelius

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 352
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
Bigs, I agree with you to an extent.  But do you believe hard work does not improve one's chance at being ranked higher?  For each school, the majority of studnets will be at approximately the same intelligence level.  Some will naturally graps the concepts, placing them in the top 5%.  Will hard work, and focused work (aimless hardwork is not productive) not be what separates the top half of a class versus the bottom?

bigs5068

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1474
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »
Of course some hard work will be a factor, and a little bit of luck comes into play as well on the finals. I think how the system ranks a student is messed up and that is another story. However, the majority of students at any school work hard. There are a few people that are questionable, but generally people that were motivated enough to go to law school in the first place and drop 100k are not screwing around. Everybody first day of school was convinced they were going to finish in the top 10% and they were all smart people, but when 100% of people think they are going to be in the top 10% you do not need to be a math major to see how that plays out. 

marcus-aurelius

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 352
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply for Law schools with 155 on LSAT?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
I'll agree with you luck plays a small part in it.  The difference between the 7% and 15% is porbably negligible.  Give each of them a nother chance, and the rankings may flip.  But those in the top 25% are unlikely to find themselves in the bottom 25%, IMO