Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS Grade Report and Texas Academic Fresh Start  (Read 1856 times)

michellecheri

• View Profile
    • Email
LSDAS Grade Report and Texas Academic Fresh Start
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »
Under the Texas Academic Fresh Start statute, a student can elect to have any grades earned 10 years or more prior to the Fresh Start application discounted or "erased" from consideration in the student's cumulative GPA.

So, when I applied for Academic Fresh Start in 2010, the semester from hell I had in 1999 (GPA of 0.50, GO ME!) can no longer be considered as part of my academic profile by any Texas graduate or professional schools. From the College For All Texans website...

"Admissions staff for master's, doctoral or other professional degree programs at public universities will consider only your G.P.A. established by the course work you completed after enrolling in Academic Fresh Start, plus any other criteria the school uses in evaluating applicants for admission.

Credits and G.P.A. you earned prior to Academic Fresh Start will not be used to evaluate your application for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

Please note: Nothing in the law prohibits a public university from applying standard admissions requirements."

Obviously, the LSDAS really doesn't care about my Academic Fresh Start. But when I apply to University of Texas, how does my AFS factor into my LSDAS grade report? Anyone?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSDAS Grade Report and Texas Academic Fresh Start
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
I'm assuming it is the same.  LSAC and its credential assembly service puts it all together.  I don't seem them altering that for one school.  I could be wrong.  There are more senior people here that would know better.  But LSAC seems to like to hold everything you have ever done in front of you until you cry

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSDAS Grade Report and Texas Academic Fresh Start
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »
While LSAC is indeed the central clearing house for your transcripts, each individual school will need to determine how the interpret the data that they receive. I have to admit I am not familiar with the Fresh Start program that you are referring to, but I have seen references on other boards that some law schools (e.g. Colorado School of Law) uses ones degree GPA to determine admissions vice the far more common cumulative GPA. With this in mind I would not find it all that surprising that some schools in Texas may find a way to consider ones GPA in a light other then the summarized cumulative GPA that is calculated by the LSAC.

If UT, or some other school in Texas really does interest you, I think that this would be a question that would be worth raising to their admissions office.

Happy Hunting,