Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 50! and still thinking of law school!!!  (Read 6232 times)

MKAYE

• View Profile
50! and still thinking of law school!!!
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »
Missed taking/studying for LSAT for 2010 time wise. My background: I am a RE Broker with own boutique biz, love the legal aspects but not the commission aspect of the job. Received BA in Criminal Justice and can't for the life of me get any kind of job. Thinking law school, but hesitant mostly because of cost to income. I could see myself working for years in an area I love. Husband is supportive, kids are grown. I just don't want to make the financial investment to find disappointment. I've tried getting  a job in law firm (something a little more stimulating than receptionist) and again, hit brick wall....thoughts???

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 50! and still thinking of law school!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
Law school is a considerable investment in both time and treasure, and it is good that you are considering this element of the decision.

Given that your children are grown and your spouse is supportive are both very good elements to making the process of going back to school manageable. Are you thinking of FT or PT programs? Do you plan on applying to only schools that are geographically near where you live or are you open to the notion of relocating to pursue a law degree?

I suspect that it is not uncommon for people to change their minds during the course of law school in regards to what elements of the law they wish to focus their efforts on when they become a lawyer. Nonetheless I think that for those of us who are a bit older then the normal potential law student crowd (I am 38) to put some thought into how a JD would become integrated into our lives. In my case. I work in InfoSec, and over the years of working on security projects for large companies and government agencies I have come to believe that their is an open niche for a lawyer with a strong background in InfoSec to help organizations come to grip with their legal and contractual obligations in a manner that can actually be implemented. Perhaps I am wrong about this perceived niche, but it is what spurred this interest in looking into my options.

With this in mind I would suggest that you ask yourself, what do you want to do with your law degree. Try to look around for those working in areas that you find interesting. Use what you find to help gauge the potential payback (measuring both in treasure and in satisfaction).

Happy Hunting,

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »
Do your homework and consider the time, cost, and liklihood of actually landing an attorney job. I am generally a voice against going to law school if it is not your burning passion, you are not getting good scholarships, and you are not going to a high ranked school.  Your situation may be different and you can do this on a lark - but school could end up costing well over $100K, and the job prospects are not great right now.  There are a lot of articles and blogs out there about the state of employment in the legal market.

jchristin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
I'm just a couple of years older than you and will be starting law school fall/2011. I too am a principal real estate broker who works in corporate real estate. Nearly 80% of my work is legal, but to not be considered to be practicing law everything I write must be submitted to an attorney first. I HATE that! The passion to become an attorney has burned within since the mid-80's when I was an undergraduate, but with the birth of two boys during those years the time and money to do law school never materialized. Now, the kids are grown and on their own, divorced, and free to complete the dream. For me, it is not only about the time and expense but also the passion and the desire to complete something I started long ago - its about the journey and how it will change me as a person. To miss this opportunity I would be kicking myself silly in the old folks nursing home when I turn 95!

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
JCristin,

Although I am a few years younger than you (not many, I still wear bifocals), you and I are in the EXACT same situation, except that I am married (AFTER a divorce and the kids are grown).

Now is OUR TIME.  Like you, I have had that itchy dream banging around in my head since I dropped out of college to join the navy in the early 80's.

The HELL with all the doom and gloom.  As a retired officer, I have a great retirement check and pretty good benefits.  A rather minimal salary will suffice.  That isn't even the point.  The point is to NEVER be one of those sad people who say, "coulda, shoulda, woulda...."

The Law is calling, and we WILL persevere.  Semper Audere!

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:25:31 AM »
I am almost 45 and still thinking about it.  I have been in the legal profession 18 years.  I have an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies, a Bacehlors in Business and a Masters in Law & Public Policy.  I took LSAT and did poorly but with my 3.69 GPA, I thought it would offset the low GPA.  I was wrong. I am in Georgia so I only had 2 choices for law school that offered a night program.  I was not accepted to either one. 

So, I stumbled across a state approved school in Birmingham, AL.  They have a night program and a weekend program.  Birmingham is 3 hours from me and it is feesible to go on the weekend.  They may not be the best law school in the world, but at my age, I am not looking to become a first year associate at a firm.  I am going for the education. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
I hope the tuition at the state school is nowhere near that of ABA accredited law schools - that is an awful lot of driving and studying simply "for the education."  No chance on re-prepping and retaking the LSAT?  Might be worth the ffort.

I am not looking to become a first year associate at a firm.  I am going for the education.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Nothing like scratching a $150,000 itch.  Good luck to all of you - you'll need it.

EmpressH25

• View Profile
    • Furniture Store
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
When I was a child, I am dreaming to become a great lawyer but sad to say as I am growing that dream has been vanished! Right now, I am thinking! Is it not the end to pursue my lost ambition to be made??  :-\

Furniture Store
We ship nationwide. Huge variety in modern furniture, contemporary & Italian furniture like platform bed, leather sofa, sectional sofas & bedroom furniture for home. Free shipping for most items.  Furniture Store

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
I hope the tuition at the state school is nowhere near that of ABA accredited law schools - that is an awful lot of driving and studying simply "for the education."  No chance on re-prepping and retaking the LSAT?  Might be worth the ffort.

I am not looking to become a first year associate at a firm.  I am going for the education.

Birmingham is $1750 a semster including all the fees.  3 semester a year  so that is $5300 a year... roughly.  I have to add gas and travel time in but still worth it.  Heck, Concord is $10,000 a year for an online law degree.  That seems wasteful