Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Issues with December LSAT / Graduate GPA  (Read 563 times)

quarantedeux

• View Profile
Issues with December LSAT / Graduate GPA
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »
Hello all.

I recently decided to take the December LSAT instead of the October LSAT. I'm gathering application information on several T14 schools, and now I'm starting to wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by taking the test so late. On one hand, I'll have much more time to prepare, which I believe is a good thing. On the other hand, several of the schools I'm looking at have rolling admissions and tell prospective students to apply as soon as possible. I guess it's something of a moot point now, because there's likely no way I'll be taking the October LSAT at this point, but I was just wondering if people felt they were hampered in the past by taking the December LSAT.

My second question is in regards to the role of graduate school GPA in law school admissions. I've heard several different opinions/experiences on this, and I figure that it might differ from school to school. I'm very interested in this because, while my undergrad GPA was respectable (3.63), my MA GPA ended up being over 20 points higher (3.88). Having some idea of how grad school GPA will be considered will hopefully give me a better idea of what to expect from the application process.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can pass on!

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with December LSAT / Graduate GPA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
Hello all.

I recently decided to take the December LSAT instead of the October LSAT. I'm gathering application information on several T14 schools, and now I'm starting to wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by taking the test so late. On one hand, I'll have much more time to prepare, which I believe is a good thing. On the other hand, several of the schools I'm looking at have rolling admissions and tell prospective students to apply as soon as possible. I guess it's something of a moot point now, because there's likely no way I'll be taking the October LSAT at this point, but I was just wondering if people felt they were hampered in the past by taking the December LSAT.

My second question is in regards to the role of graduate school GPA in law school admissions. I've heard several different opinions/experiences on this, and I figure that it might differ from school to school. I'm very interested in this because, while my undergrad GPA was respectable (3.63), my MA GPA ended up being over 20 points higher (3.88). Having some idea of how grad school GPA will be considered will hopefully give me a better idea of what to expect from the application process.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can pass on!

I didn't take the December LSAT, but with regard to graduate GPA, I've never heard of it being taken into serious consideration anywhere.  LSAT and undergraduate GPA are what matter.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Issues with December LSAT / Graduate GPA
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »
Well I am almost positive you can send your application in now and then take the LSAT. Obviously, they won't review it until the score comes in, but if you get all your other material etc and send it in it couldn't hurt you. 

Then as Whiterabbit said your Graduate GPA does not mean much, it is your UGPA/LSAT score that matter.