Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you spot the experimental section?  (Read 1407 times)

marsilni

• View Profile
Can you spot the experimental section?
« on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:01 PM »
Does LSAC make the experimental section stand out at all by making the section particularly difficult or exotic?  Or, conversely, do they make it conspicuous by making the questions rather easy and forgiving?  When you took the test, did you walk away knowing which section was the unscored section?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Can you spot the experimental section?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
not reliably. 

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
Whether the section is difficult, easy, or average varies.  They are trying out questions to be used in future tests.  Sometimes the questions may be too easy and never used, others to difficult.  So there is no reliable way to know

thouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
I was told in my prep class that any section given in the second half of the test counts.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »
My experiemental I believe was either my fourth or fifth section.  I had two LR sections to finish the test, only one counted in scoring 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
My experiemental I believe was either my fourth or fifth section.  I had two LR sections to finish the test, only one counted in scoring

The experimental is always one of the first three.

LSAT Freedom

• LSAT Prep Course Taught by Harvard Law Grads
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Freedom
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
The LSAT experimental section can be identified in many situations.  Remember, the LSAT is administered in two “sittings.”  Students take the first three sections with no break in between the sections, are given a short break, and then take the final two sections.  The writing sample is the final section of the exam.  The LSAT experimental section is always one of the first three sections of the exam.  By the time you take your break, you will have already taken the experimental section.

If two (or more) of the first three sections are comprised of Logical Reasoning questions, then there is no way to infer which one of the first three sections is the experimental section.  Under any other scenario, though, the experimental section can be identified after you complete the exam.  Remember: every LSAT contains the same four scored section topics: 2 Logical Reasoning sections, 1 Logic Games (Analytical Reasoning) section, and 1 Reading Comprehension section.  Thus, if the first and fifth sections are both Reading Comprehension sections, then the fifth section is scored and the first section is experimental.  Likewise, if the first and fourth sections are both Analytical Reasoning sections, then the fourth section is scored, and the first section is experimental.