Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT prep while working full-time  (Read 1623 times)

media2law

• View Profile
LSAT prep while working full-time
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
I'm set to take the LSAT in Feb (although I may change to June) and I am wondering if anyone has advice on a study schedule for those of us working full-time. I took a practice exam (June 2007) a few months ago to see where I stood and scored a 142. :-[ I have a lot of work ahead of me. I have the tools: bibles, prep tests, ect. Now I need a routine.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT prep while working full-time
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
Prep well and you will raise that score in no time!!!  I would prep a little bit each day.  I would start by getting used to the form of each section, and then question type in each section.  Do this for an hour or two after work, and a little during your lunch break if you have one/can.  On your days off, I would up that to three or four hours for the first few weeks.

Once you grasp the concepts, I would move on towards timed sections.  Again, one or two sections after work.  About three to four months out form the testm, I would start taking a practice test once a week, and going over the test to see what you did right and wrong the next day.  So spend one entire day taking the test, and the next day going over it.  While going over it, it should take you nearly as long as the test itself.  SO you are talking about over 3 hours for those two days.

media2law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
Great advice. Thanks! :)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
No problem.  And keep your head up while you prep.  My first practice test was a 153.  My second was a 165.  I kept working and had a high of 177 before settling down at a 173 on test day.  So improvemnet is possible.  Don't let your own insecurities and determination become an obstacle.  LEarn from your mistakes as well as your successes and you will be just fine

Gameday

• View Profile
    • Gameday Tutoring and Personal Statement Review
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
Definitely don't worry if your first practice test score is low.  My first practice score was pretty bad, but I was able to raise it quite a bit through self-study.  It just takes time to become familiar and comfortable with the question types but then you start to get the hang of it.  On weekdays just do a section or two.  Although if you do a section timed you only have 35 minutes to complete it, give yourself at least an hour for each section you tackle, because you will want to go over the answers afterwards and figure out the problems you missed.  Sometimes that can take even longer than actually taking the section.  After a while you will figure out a routine that works for you and fits into your schedule. 

Just keep in mind that studying for the LSAT is a marathon, not a sprint.  Do small bits of work at a time, try to keep a steady pace but don't be afraid to take breaks to avoid burnout, and when you feel ready to take another full practice exam be sure to save it for a weekend  :)  good luck!