Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dating during First Year  (Read 2771 times)

lawschoolgirlfriend

• View Profile
Dating during First Year
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
I wanted to introduce myself to the forum.  I took the LSAT; but financially am unable to attend law school at the moment.  I am going to school part-time for paralegal certification and working full time in Corporate America.  On top of that, I am long-distance dating a 1L at a Tier 1 law school.  To put it mildly, I am a little busy.  It is only day 2 of classes for my boyfriend and already he is struggling with the pace and stress.  And knowing how stressed he is causes me to fret even more.

I have started writing a blog to 'talk out' my issues, concerns, etc, with our situation so that i don't add to his stress level.  Any other ideas to help?

http://lawschool-girlfriend.blogspot.com/

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Dating during First Year
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
I wish you the best of luck. I read your blog and can sympathize/empathize with what you are about to go through. I'm married and my husband followed me to law school and then again when I transferred, so that we didn't have to deal with the distance, but it is still a very hard situation the 1st year. I'm just starting my 2nd year, so we'll see how it goes.

This my view of how it goes the 1st year in a nutshell:
On the side of the law student: The 1st year is really stressful, especially the 1st semester. You feel like you've been thrown in the middle of the lake without any training on how to swim. You either learn how to swim or you sink. So, you spend all of your time, and I mean all, learning how to swim and how to swim very well (and hopefully how to swim better than your classmates). You will love it a lot of the time and hate it at other times, such as when you really, really want to sleep or when it's nearing exam time.

On the side of the significant other: Your significant other is always busy and all they do when they aren't busy is talk about law, law, law. You may find that your significant other's personality takes on notable changes--more stress, less laughter, he/she thinks more critically, has less passionate answers to things--less black and white, starts answering everything with the scrutiny he/she employs when reading cases...

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard all of this before. Hang in there.

lawschoolgirlfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »
Thank you for the summary.  That helps considerably.  :)  At least I don't feel so alone.  I am hoping it will be easier because we are long distance.  Fingers crossed.

lawschoolgirlfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
Does anyone else have any 'advice'?

athurart09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »
I wish you the best of luck. I read your blog and can sympathize/empathize with what you are about to go through. I'm married and my husband followed me to law school and then again when I transferred, so that we didn't have to deal with the distance, but it is still a very hard situation the 1st year. I'm just starting my 2nd year, so we'll see how it goes.

This my view of how it goes the 1st year in a nutshell:
On the side of the law student: The 1st year is really stressful, especially the 1st semester. You feel like you've been thrown in the middle of the lake without any training on how to swim. You either learn how to swim or you sink. So, you spend all of your time, and I mean all, learning how to swim and how to swim very well (and hopefully how to swim better than your classmates). You will love it a lot of the time and hate it at other times, such as when you really, really want to sleep or when it's nearing exam time.

On the side of the significant other: Your significant other is always busy and all they do when they aren't busy is talk about law, law, law. You may find that your significant other's personality takes on notable changes--more stress, less laughter, he/she thinks more critically, has less passionate answers to things--less black and white, starts answering everything with the scrutiny he/she employs when reading cases...

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard all of this before. Hang in there.
Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

lawschoolgirlfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
So I survived the first semester dating a 1L and even made it through FINAL EXAMS which were emotionally torturous.  I continue to blog my observations of dating a 1L and hope that if you or your significant others have questions or comments, that you'll let me know or leave a comment on my blog.    Best of Luck to all you law students as you head back for Spring term!

http://lawschool-girlfriend.blogspot.com/