Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southern University Law School  (Read 2701 times)

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
Southern University Law School
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
Hi
Can anyone share any personal insight about Southern or any other HBCU law school? I'm considering applying to a couple but the only one I ever hear anything good about is Howard. I've checked the websites, but I'd love to hear from people who have actually attended these schools or knows someone who did. thanks

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Southern University Law School
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
You should try a different school other than Howard University. Try somewhere in the North instead of southern schools. From what I have seen, most of them are pretty bad including Howard University.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
I've seen the websites, I was looking for personal expierence. I'm an Iowa native so I'm aiming for Univ Of Iowa but I've always been curious about attending a HBCU.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »
Don't go to Iowa but rather Howard if those are your only options.

faithful

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
I am a 2L currently attending SULC and I like it. SULC is the first HBCU school I have ever attended. I believe if you have never attended an HBCU law school then you have no grounds to give your opinion. Good luck!

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »
May I ask how you decided on Southern? I am  impressed with their quick responses and personal attention.

tg123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
Im a white male from NJ with an LSAT score and a GPA that puts me right in Southern's range. Are there any white or Latino students at Southern University? Anyone know a white person that went to a HBCU, if so, what have you heard about their experience?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:39 AM »
Southern is the "bastard child" of law schools in Louisiana (an already overcrowded market).  If you're looking for a cheap place to go and don't mind starting you career as a solo after law school, by all means, go to Southern.  If, however, you expect make > $50K starting out, to work outside of Louisiana, or even to work as an associate in a respectable Louisiana firm, Southern is not a good choice.

Some of my friends attended Southern.  After graduating, they were working the same jobs they did prior to law school - just with more debt and a J.D. on their resume.

Dreaming_Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
It's a scary thought that you can still go to law school and end up in debt working the same jobs as before. :-\I guess that goes for any profession, but it's even more scary to think of your own like this.

AspiringBlackLawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
Look if your LSAT is that bad that you have to consider Southern...just take the test over again. That person who replied and said they are at southern has sowed their fate. He or She will never get a BigLaw job but chances are they know that. If you want to make below 50k out of law school then fine go to Southern. Many of their grads cant even pass the state bar. They fail out at least 20 people in the first year class. Its the bottom of the bottom of law schools. Why they still have ABA approval is beyond me. If it was a white school they would be GONE. Lets be real.

study hard and do well on the LSAT and Howard should be in your reach. A 2.2gpa 162 Lsat student was granted admission into Howard this year.