Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad Blues: First Semester Failure  (Read 545 times)

fanmingrui

• View Profile
    • Email
Undergrad Blues: First Semester Failure
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »
I had an abysmal first semester, failing every single class. After that debacle I got serious about life and school, retook the failed courses, and graduated with a 3.86 cumulative GPA, including a 4.0 over my last three semesters. With an LSAT score of 176 I hoped to attend a Top 14 law school and have a competitive shot at getting into one of the Top 3. Unfortunately, due to my awful first semester, my LSDAS GPA is only a 3.45. Considering my strong LSAT score, do I have a reasonable chance at an elite school or will my GPA disqualify me from consideration?

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: Undergrad Blues: First Semester Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:26:41 AM »
Well, your cumulative GPA will probably hurt you a bit, however, you did show a very strong upward trend, and law schools do like that alot. Your LSAT is very strong, which will certainly help you, but you are in an uphill battle. I would say try, you aren't a rediculously bad candiate, and I think the returning to school and doing well will really help your chances.

Good luck!
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
You can usually write an addendum explaining what the reasons were for your poor performance.  Then you can explain how you matured and learned from your past experience. You never know what is going on in an admissions committee's mind and they may even like the fact that you overcame adversity. Either way a 3.45 G.P.A. and 176 LSAT is pretty solid and you will definitely have some great options. 

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Let me rephrase, you are a great canidate, but maybe fringe for T14. You do have a good shot tho, so go for it!
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
WIth your numbers, you will get into either Cornell or Georgetown.  I believe probably both