Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Already have offer from firm ... any point in doing clerkship?  (Read 2157 times)

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's the general consensus on this?  Already have an offer from the firm I did summer associateships at (120 some attys, $120K first year associate salary).  I understand that a clerkship (especially federal) is prestigious and great training ... but is there really much of a point if I already have an offer at a big (for my area) firm?  Just curious as to what your opinions were.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Already have offer from firm ... any point in doing clerkship?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:16 AM »
What's the general consensus on this?  Already have an offer from the firm I did summer associateships at (120 some attys, $120K first year associate salary).  I understand that a clerkship (especially federal) is prestigious and great training ... but is there really much of a point if I already have an offer at a big (for my area) firm?  Just curious as to what your opinions were.

Do you want to be a litigator?  If so, I think you should go for it.  Otherwise, not so much.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

The clerkship credential stays with you for life.  Many prestigious firms require their associates to clerk.  If you want to litigate, you should communicate with your firm and feel out whether or not they would be receptive to taking you back after you clerk.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
Many prestigious firms require their associates to clerk. 

This is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?  I mean, who can you think of besides Williams & Connolly?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
Many prestigious firms require their associates to clerk. 

This is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?  I mean, who can you think of besides Williams & Connolly?

I agree that the "many" is an exaggeration.  Susman Godfrey instantly comes to mind, though.  There are several others out there - generally, it's the high-profile litigation firms that require it.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »

Do you want to be a litigator?  If so, I think you should go for it.  Otherwise, not so much.

Granted I am not a litigator, but I am hard pressed to think of any firm that requires their associates to clerk - or even that place specific value on clerkships for partnership consideration.  Of course, a good clerkship could have many lasting benefits for the firm job, but that is perhaps a different question.

That said, judicial clerkships, particularly presitigious clerkships, will count greatly in your favor for many academic, judicial, and political appointments, should you later decide to pursue those career parths.

rosetta25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:32 AM »
I have this same decision to make now.  It is so tough.  The clerkship to me seems risky if your firm isn't going to allow you to return.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do either.  If your firm allows you to return, then there is no question... go for the clerkship

MEMEMEME

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
As I have been told by my mentor attorney, it doesn't matter where you get experience as long as you get paid for it. Let me ask you this, are you trying to climb the ladder and be a partner and work the 40-90 hours a week it takes to be a partner over the next few years or do you prefer a more relaxed schedule? I imagine you could guess which choice would go with which desire. Also, are you worried about "messing up" or do you feel confident you will succeed anywhere? If you want a bit more mentoring and more of a transition into becoming an attorney, I'd go for the clerkship because if you f*** up the 120k job, it will be difficult for you for awhile especially since this sounds like big law and trust me, they are mostly as cutthroat as the rumors say. Again, however, if you are Mr. or Ms. Succeed Anywhere, the 120K is obviously desirable if you want to be a partner someday and make lots of dough..