Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does a DUI on record: affects bar admissions/ law school admissions? how much?  (Read 8020 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The for profit law school thing seems like kind of b.s. I am pretty sure they are all out for a profit even if they do not explicitly say so. My school is a "non-profit" school, but they sure charge a lot of money and it is not a multi-million dollar facility. Neither are any law school I have ever seen, this is completely off topic, but I really think from Harvard to Cooley they are out to make money first & foremost.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think you are misunderstanding non-profits.  Both compoanies for-profit and non-profits are out to make money.  Neither could exist without a source of revenue.  A for-profit company can do whatever it likes with the profit.  Often, this results in the owner (if privately owned) getting a fat bonus check at the end of the year.  In a publically traded company, dividends for share holders may be given out.

A non-profit cannot distribute excess funds.  The extra money they have, the profit, must be used towards whatever its mission is.  They can expdand the campus, give out scholarships, etx.  So both types of companies are trying to make money.  The purpose and use of that money is the difference

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I realize that is what a non-profit is supposed to do, but what is EXCESS profits? Where does it stop and what is the mission. Recruiting a new dean and giving her 200K a year pay could be towards the "mission" and maybe enticing her to come by hiring some family members at a ridiculous salary again towards the "mission." Maybe I am being to cynical, but I feel someone just drops the word non-profit and everyone just says it is ok.  I think every school in the Bay Area is a non-profit, but they all charge 30K a year and none of them are that nice. The facilities etc, at my undergrad where the tuition was 3,000  had way better facilities than the schools in the Bay I have seen Hastings, GGU, USF, Santa Clara. Again, maybe I am cynical, but I would like to see a list of any non-profit schools expenditures to determine what EXCESS PROFITS and going towards the MISSION mean.  We are now completely off topic of the original post :(

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree with your view.  The board of the non-profit is the entity that should keep the expenses congruent with the mission.  But that is not always the case.

As a current/future attorney, you shoul dbe able to formulate an argument explaining why the dean and her cohorts need such salaries  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
None of that is true as far as I know. I have no idea what the dean's salary is, and I am certain none of her relatives were hired, that would be to suspicious. That is just a hypothetical of what could be all done under the mask of a non-profit. Again, at the moment I know very little about non-profits compared to for profit companies, and I may be way to cynical.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Uh,

Sorry OP.  This is the second time I started an off topic debate.  None of this is helping you.  I didn't mean to start these conversations.  Please forgive me. 

I did have a thought that may help you, however.  Contact the organization: Lawyers Helping Lawyers- they may know if you can go to law school at all and when you could apply.  They deal with lawyers that have substance abuse problems, not admissions issues, but there may be lawyers there that went to law school with a situation similar to yours.   I'm not saying you an addict or being judgmental or condemning (you will have enough of that to deal with- see the hate in the earlier posts) or any of that jazz- just a place you can go get info.  Once again I wish you luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."