Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does a DUI on record: affects bar admissions/ law school admissions? how much?  (Read 8513 times)

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
I don't care what spin you want to put on it, but I would have 3 friend more on earth if it wasn't for a guy getting hammered drunk at a bar and driving home and piling through them as they walked across the street. Am I insane about it? Perhaps, but I don't see why that guying wanting to drink excessivly and drive is a reason those three people should be dead.

But no, I do love the whole "everyone does it so its good", sure makes a lot of sense. Until you think about it.

What are people in rural areas supposed to do? How about not drink and drive? Get some friends together and take turns being DD. Its not that hard. If you can't handel that, only have a beer, why do you need to get drunk? Perhaps the 3 beers is a tad much for a DUI, but 99% of the time thats not the case, its people blowing a .10 or more, I mean, I am sorry if its unreasonable, but I just don't see why your good time should endanger others. Maybe I am just stupid, but I don't understand how anyone can sit there and say its not a big deal. It is a big deal.

I have never drank and drive (if I am driving I will not have more than 1 beer), and I will always offer to drive anyone to the bar, I have no problem with that, so its not really hypocricy on my part.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

MEMEMEME

Isn't it all relative? If you had a family member who had died from a drunk driver, I bet you would sing a different tune. Instead, you're probably someone who has gotten a DUI and I have not. As BIGS has suggested, I don't drink and drive at all. I stay over or pay for a cab. No one I know has ever been killed by a drunk driver and I have never crashed my car from being drunk. If the stories are rare, fine. But your point is like saying that it's ok to take a gun and fire it off in the woods and hopefully not hit anyone. Sure, it won't happen most of the time, but what if it does? It's just being irresponsible and people know the law, so get over it. If so many people have past DUIs, I doubt people would fire them for a DUI- they would be able to relate, correct?

Also- I am a miss or a ma'am, not a sir.

MEMEMEME

Also, first offense DUIs are usually expunged.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are you getting emotional?  I don't care what your gender is, dosemt matter.  Neither does mine, mam. I'm just saying- think before you act.  Same thing you are saying to people who get DUIs.  Don't ruin someones life over that.  I know a guy who is not homless from a DUI.  He lost his car.  He was a regonal saleman, thus he lost his job.  No job no rent, he lost his apartment.   Last I heard he was homelsss.  Was any of this necessary?  I'm just saying the system hurts peoples lives and doesn't help in many areas.  Is it reasonable the court cares whether or not Lindsey Lohan drinks in her home, for example.  I argue no, of course not.

Why must I have a DUI?  Because I advocate a loosening of the law.  I don't think anyone should go to prison for decades for dealing drugs either.  Doesn't make me a drug dealer (loaded term), does it?.  I'm not saying driving while drinking is a good thing, just we as a society have way over reacted and are hurting people because of it, that's all.  Like we did recently with tobacco or like we did with MacArthur communist hunt. I just think we should think and consider before we hurt anyone.  Not just hurt quickly act on emotion, with no consideration- which is happening now. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Oh and btw OP- Sorry for usurping your thread.  Most of our ranting and bickering isn't' helping you.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yea I agree the penalties are to harsh. I knew a girl in college who was .02, but she was 20 years old, so DUI. She had to pay an outrageous fine and became a stripper to pay it off. Obviously, there are other ways to pay it off, but she was in college and and her parent's weren't rich. She was ridiclously hot and that was the most efficient way for her to get 10,000 quickly. It is kind of sad that she endangered nobody and had to do that.

Honestly, some kind of change needs to happen getting a DUI is bad and you endanger people, but to destroy someone's life for having a beer seems crazy. Honestly, why not have the same harsh penalties for talking on your cell phone or texting while driving? that is just a ticket, but it is probably more dangerous to to text & drive than be .08.

MEMEMEME

Emotional? Haha. I actually found your initial speech the most laughable, bleeding heart and unimportant issue one could possibly be passionate about. There are so many more important things in the world, yet you're arguing for the rights of people who are irresponsible and reckless. I also didn't say you cared about my gender- but you assumed I was male so I corrected you and you sort of contradicted yourself by assuming I was emotional now because I'm a woman. To the emotional jab and to your passion about freeing the drunks from a life of discrimination, I say, OH PLEASE!

Ok, you're turning the tables (both of you)- talking about people who had a DUI once or had a .02 when they were twenty. I already said the limit should be raised. .08 isn't drunk, but it also isn't only one beer.

Back to fortook- your initial silly little argument was in response to someone who has REPEATEDLY driven drunk. Stating "oh society is horrible to people with DUIs." What am I to think but you're advocating that a repeating drunk driver who has obviously in the past had no regard to the other motorists or passengers should be given sympathy by society? That's what it sounded like.

In any case, again, most first time DUIs are expunged. Yes, bigs, I don't think your friend who was twenty should have had such a big fine for .02. I don't care about Lohan, she's stupid anyway. All in all, until the law raises the BAL limit, people need to follow it. No excuses. If they ever do change it and even before then, if you want to drive, buy a breathalizer. I mean, you have money to "go out drinking" so you have money for a cab or to buy a breathalizer. I know plenty of people who shouldn't drive but do it anyway and so they have a line in the law and that's where you have to be below. If you don't like it, write your congressman.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think your missing everybody's point.  A person that drives with a .34 3 times a week does not deserve sympathy, but if a person drives .08 or .02 as that girl did there should be some leniency.  However, the reality is a DUI is a DUI. There is no difference when you have to disclose for example a DUI arrest to a law school admissions committee it sounds the same. Had a person driven 27 times .28 and been caught only once he would have the same rap sheet as a guy with a .08 or even a .02 (if under age) would. That is what is wrong, they should make some kind of scale or as I suggested just make it a zero tolerance policy.

MEMEMEME

I agree with that.

Also, to the original poster- you need more than a year and a half. You had three DUIs spread over seven years. Your current timeframe doesn't allow one to see that you are truly reformed. They figure it is only a matter of time. I'd say you need five more years- but you can always call and ask the bar/schools as people suggested.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention in all this hoop la that I don't think you can attend or even apply to law school while on probation.  Which means you will have to wait three years anyway.  Check this.  I might be wrong, but I don't think so.  Good luck.

Push comes to shove you may look into an non accredited or state bar approved law school.  Of course you will only be able to practice in that state, which sucks I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  And depending on the area you live in this might be a doable option. Mass, Bama, Tenn and Cali have the most. Also, the for profit ABA schools, which may not be around too much longer (I hope, for profit education is kinda creepy and parasitic), are notorious for letting in everyone because they want the "business".  You still get a degree though.  :)