Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Ethical Violation?  (Read 2143 times)

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: Law School Ethical Violation?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
Look, you're not getting what I am saying, nor apparently what everyone else he is saying. Its not that big of a deal. I understand it hurts him. Oh well. Its something that you hope doesn't happen to others, but it does. Suck it up, do better next time, thats the brakes. Sorry.

Its is not fair at all, I totally agree, but thats the way the world works. You think its any different in real life? Somebody sees a news clip about Kaizen management and implements it and gets a promotion rather than someone who didn't see the clip, people who win cases based on the leanings of a judge, and people getting jobs based on who they know...none of thse are fair, but they happen. This will not be the last time that something b.s. happens, it is just the way things work.

It still comes down to, the reason your friend is upset, is because it worked against him. It sucks man, it really does. I feel bad for him. But again, he had every opportunity. Things didn't work out for him. Hopefully he was able to get past it, but if this is the biggest injustice that happens to him, he will have had a great life.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »
Ditto - this post sums it up.  My advice to your friend would be to drop it.  He needs to choose the hill that he is willing to fight and die on very carefully - this is not it.

What is unfair is not necessarily unlawful or unethical.  Your post asked whether there was a law school ethical violation.  The answer is no.

I think this about sums it up.  "Fair" is a concept built on the assumption that there is an outside authority there to enforce justice in social interactions.  We learn this as children when parents not only tell us to play fair, but make us play fair.  A complaint of "that's not fair" is essentially a plea to some authority to fix the injustice.

Adult life, however, is mostly free of "fair," and indeed one of the lessons of adolescence is to abandon "fair" as an objective standard and instead internalize it as a personal guiding principle.

Your friend should view this experience as a valuable lesson in real life.  Expecting an outside authority to swoop in and undo the injustice is a futile remnant of youthful thinking.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:11 PM »
Those who looked over the exam online to memorize the questions don't really know much about learning. I'd rather get a B on an exam I studied, conceptualized, interpreted on my own, rather than memorizing a bunch of questions. They are really losing out on an education. The more you know, the better off you are in life.