Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JMLS(Chicago) Housing  (Read 2002 times)

SR0909SR

• View Profile
JMLS(Chicago) Housing
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
I was recently accepted to JMLS in Chicago. I've done some research on apartments close to the campus and I would like some feedback from those of you that are familiar with the area. I am from Florida, so it will be a pretty big change for me! Right now I am most considering the Presidential Towers, any thoughts? Where do most JMLS students reside? (especially those from out of state). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JMLS(Chicago) Housing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
PT is okay, if not just a bit too far to comfortably walk.
Most students stay near the school, but some just seek out apartments near the EL so they can get to school quick.  For my first year, I lived near Grand and Ogden and had easy access to the blue line, which drops you a block away from school.
My advice is to search craigslist chicago and the chicago reader for apartment listings, then cross-reference it all with train access.  Both the blue and red lines drop you within 2 blocks of school, so living near one of those lines is generally going to make your life easy.  JMLS doesn't have any real student housing, so there is no real concentration of students living in any one place.
I have friends who live in the River North area who overpay for their space, but live by the red line.  Apartments in PT are expensive, but (I believe) come furnished.  If you want to save some dough and have stuff to move, River West, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, and River North are some good options.  PT is in the heart of the business district, so there isn't much going on in the neighborhood late night or on weekends (which is good and bad).
Here's a link to craigslist: http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/
Here's the link to the reader: http://classifieds.chicagoreader.com/chicago/

SR0909SR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
That was very helpful! Thank you for the reply, I will definitely need the info!

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
No sweat!
Good luck.  See you on campus!

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
I was recently accepted to JMLS in Chicago. I've done some research on apartments close to the campus and I would like some feedback from those of you that are familiar with the area. I am from Florida, so it will be a pretty big change for me! Right now I am most considering the Presidential Towers, any thoughts? Where do most JMLS students reside? (especially those from out of state). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey there! I was recently accepted to JMLS too and I'm pretty excited but nervous about housing as well. I will need to live outside of the City unfortunatley because I have big dogs and would like a little more quiet area to go home too. I would appreciate any recommendations as well. Especially for anything closer to the Indiana border. (But I hear Gary and Hammond are not too great).