Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reason for going to law school  (Read 1629 times)

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
Reason for going to law school
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Hi Everybody-I'm just curious for the reasons ur going to law school? In my personal statement I said I was seeking power,not for power's sake but to be an agent of change.I also want to have influence.
Please share. ;)

REALITY

• View Profile
Re: Reason for going to law school
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
you said that you wanted power in your personal statement? How did that go for you?

Hi Everybody-I'm just curious for the reasons ur going to law school? In my personal statement I said I was seeking power,not for power's sake but to be an agent of change.I also want to have influence.
Please share. ;)

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
Yea, I would not have suggested doing that....
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
Why not? It's  honest and one of the reasons why I'd like to earn a law degree. I articulated in my statement that I don't want power for power's sake. I'm not on a power trip. I want influence. I want to be one of the people who have the power to make final decisions. I can be an effective follower, but only for a while. Who wants to be on the sidelines forever?
Beside I put it in context. The field I want to go in is public interest or goverment. I have expierence in that area and I think I can offer special insight. I also have a passion for issues related to that area. I'd hate to have to go along to get along.I'm just not that type of girl. ;)

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
There are plenty good reasons not to.

1) You never know how it is going to be taken by the admissions office. Sure, you could think it sounds like you are ambitious and want to help, but it comes off more as pompus and that you want to have control over others. It is a very unrealistic view of how it works, especially in the public interest sector. Sure, eventually you may be able to be in a position where you are calling the shots and shaping policy, but right out of school you are likely going to be working discovery and going through documents, not actually stepping foot in a courtroom or boardroom directly affecting policy.

2) If that is the only reason you want to be a lawyer, you will find it tough. Sure, it may sound sexy to change the world, but the facts are, its the small battles that do it, not the big media circus ones. It takes a lot to fight day to day, and the fact that the reason you want to do it is power, doesn't come off that you have done your research.

3) A lot of people change what they want to do in law school, so it is not always the best thing to say "this is exactly why I want to come" unless it plays into a stregnth of the school itself, where you can show actualy statistical research about the school you want to attend.

For a little more hints I found this for you http://www.top-law-schools.com/statement.html, but again, if you haven't sent out that statement yet, I wouldn't. It might be very well written, but remember, you do not know who is going to read it, and think of the different ways it can be percieved. Saying "I want power" can be viewed as a HUGE negitive. When schools accept 20-40% of all applicants, you don't want to give yourself any room to screw it up.

Good luck on it though! I am not an expert in this, so I could be wrong, but its just my two cents.
Independence forever.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the web address.
I also appreciate your honesty.Good luck to you as well.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
If my post came off as harsh, it wasn't supposed to. As an amature in this myself, I would just advise against it. Who knows, that could get you in, I am just saying beware, you never know what the mindset of the reader will be. Perhaps I am just a drinker of the admissions office kool-aid that the personal statement matters, but remeber, its a reflection on you, your future, and your ambition, so making sure the right tone is coming through is vitally important.

Like I said, I do sincerely hope that it works out for you, what I say is supposed to be helpful, not trying to crush hopes or anything. What schools you looking at?
Independence forever.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
I am not going to law school to become a lawyer, but rather going to earn a J.D... As for passing the bar, if I feel up to it, I will possibly take it but I might not even do that as I was offered a good paying job with a salary a month ago, so I might just take them up on that job. It pays well and I could earn more money than a lawyer in just 2 years but I'd have to get an MBA to go up further in the company. I dunno though, take the job and go to business school part-time? I haven't made a decision yet but I might just work for 2 years, gain some experience and networks of friends in the field, go to law school and dual major in law and business, then get a nice lucrative job out of the gate. Who knows? I might not take the job because I really dislike working with people I don't like and there are a few individuals I absolutely dislike in that company.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
If my post came off as harsh, it wasn't supposed to. As an amature in this myself, I would just advise against it. Who knows, that could get you in, I am just saying beware, you never know what the mindset of the reader will be. Perhaps I am just a drinker of the admissions office kool-aid that the personal statement matters, but remeber, its a reflection on you, your future, and your ambition, so making sure the right tone is coming through is vitally important.

Like I said, I do sincerely hope that it works out for you, what I say is supposed to be helpful, not trying to crush hopes or anything. What schools you looking at?

No need to apologize. I'll need thick skin for law school.I know for sure I will apply to rake and U of Iowa. There are other schools but I'll narrow them down after I take the lsat.
What about u?

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
I am not going to law school to become a lawyer, but rather going to earn a J.D... As for passing the bar, if I feel up to it, I will possibly take it but I might not even do that as I was offered a good paying job with a salary a month ago, so I might just take them up on that job. It pays well and I could earn more money than a lawyer in just 2 years but I'd have to get an MBA to go up further in the company. I dunno though, take the job and go to business school part-time? I haven't made a decision yet but I might just work for 2 years, gain some experience and networks of friends in the field, go to law school and dual major in law and business, then get a nice lucrative job out of the gate. Who knows? I might not take the job because I really dislike working with people I don't like and there are a few individuals I absolutely dislike in that company.

have u thought about just getting a Masters In Law? It's cheaper.