Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would happen if you did this?  (Read 1507 times)

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
What would happen if you did this?
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
I read somewhere about a guy who did not select an ethnicity on his LSAC profile. He also listed his participation in several University groups and clubs that were typically predominantly african-american, some with "black" and "african-american" in the title, that he did legitimately join and participate in at least somewhat. The guy was caucasian, and I reckon that his intent was to dupe law school admissions committees into thinking that he was black. Would that increase your chances of admittance at many law schools, and would it be considered unethical to do if your not black or african-american. He did not technically do anything dishonest by joining extracurricular groups and not selecting an ethnicity on LSAC alone.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What would happen if you did this?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:37:50 AM »
I strongly suspect that little to no benefit for URM status would be granted if the student opts not to select an ethnicity on the application or the LSAC profile.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
Wow, we really need more lawyers who enjoy trying to win on technicality and not merit. This person seems repugnant and AGAIN, like I always say, admissions boards don't give a rat's ass what you are if you can't point out what this would add to the diversity and culture of their student body in a personal or diversity statement. Some admissions boards might consider your application incomplete if you don't check a box anyway.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:34:03 PM »
Of all the applications I have filled out, I believe only one required you to check yes or no to if you were hispanic.  Not a single school required you to choose your ethnicity.  I would be surprised if any school requires you to chose to complete your application.

Do you have any knowledge or a school that does?

MEMEMEME

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »
Duquesne University. They also require a photograph.

oceanblue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
Those statistics are only for government reporting they have no bearing on admittance.