Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do any schools allow you to transfer after first semester 2L?  (Read 3342 times)

ayoung22

• View Profile
    • Email
Do any schools allow you to transfer after first semester 2L?
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
I'm starting 2L year and I was considering applying to transfer this summer (the summer after 1L year) when everyone else does but did not have any desire to transfer in the end. However, I'm now reconsidering this decision and would like to know if any schools accept people who transfer after the first semester of their 2L year? I know a lot don't but not sure if they all don't.

Thanks!
AY

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Do any schools allow you to transfer after first semester 2L?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
There are a few schools that accept transfer students after 3 semesters, like Hofstra, but you will lose quite a few credits doing it that way.

scoop333

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
As mentioned above you will be losing most if not all of your credits that you take as a 2L. When transferring most school only accept approximately your first 30 credits.  The reason for doing this is that you must complete atleast 2/3 of your credits at one school.

Good luck!  Feel free to PM if you have any other questions or post to this thread.

REALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Why bother throughing away a semesters worth of credits and add an extra year or two repaying student loans for a transfer that won't in any real way help you get a better job? Do you have a dieing aunt in that town? If so, go for it. If not, its just silly unless its harvard. 

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:43:51 AM »
There could be a number of reasons a person want to transfer over to another school. Some of them could be that they dislike the professors, believe they should transfer to a state where they would like to practice law, the price of living in their current area is too high, etc... You will have to go through your finances and assess your situation, the pros and cons of moving vs. staying, then come to an ultimate decision.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
All of the advice above is good advice.  To formally introduce myself, I am Andrew Carrabis.  Co-author of The Art of the Law School Transfer.  I am not here to pub my book, but I did want you to know who I am.  Sometimes it makes sense to transfer after your 2L fall semester - especially if you can transfer up AND keep your credits.  Some schools, such as FSU, accept up to 45 credits.  Meaning you can take your 2L credits with you.  However, a certain number of credits must be attained at your transfer school - usually 2/3.  So you may take all your credits with you when you  transfer, but you may need to go above the total 90 credits to meet the requirement of your transfer school.  My mindset is if the transfer up is substantial, you will have your JD for the rest of your life - do the vertical transfer.  Feel free to PM me as well.