Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How effective is my LOR?  (Read 1755 times)

aclawnow

• View Profile
How effective is my LOR?
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
Hello All,

I interned for Hillary Clinton in Albany while in college for fall of 2008 right before she was promoted to Secretary of State. Her office has provided me with a U.S. Senate recommendation that is very personal about myself. I was wondering how effective this would be in getting me in law schools? the other LOR is from my law professor from school. I graduated with a 2.5 in Poly Sci which I know is low but if I score well on this Oct LSAT I hope to still manage to get in a law school with decent LSAT Score. thank you for your time!

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: How effective is my LOR?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
Ummm, depends on the letter, but those tend to be cut and paste "good, hard worker with brains and work ethic blah blah blah..." Without seeing the letter, I would say its not very helpful. While researching law schools and the process, I have come to realize just because a letter is from a powerful individual, doesn't make it a strong letter. If it reads very blah and very scripted, the school will see through it and it won't help that much.

I do believe that a good recomendation can help overcome lower numbers, but only to an extent. I wouldn't rely on that helping you overcome a 2.5, which is going to be hard to overcome, I won't sugar coat it for you. What schools were you looking at and what are you expecting (based on practice tests) for the LSAT?
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

aclawnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
I know my GPA is considered low for law school applicant. I have been scoring 155 on the Practice tests and I am about to begin my Kaplan prep tomorrow. I also had bought the PowerScore books to use as well. I am applying to multiple law schools, I am just hoping to get into a few of them if I really score well on the LSAT. As far as the recommendation, it basically speaks of how I helped contribute to Senator Clinton's office by writing her speeches, preparing press clips, etc. I even have a picture of me and the Senator together with her personal thank you note on the picture, but the LSAC does not allow pictures to be sent in. I just want to believe there is still hope. Thank you for your advice.

ralphmurray01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »
Hello guys...

I just want to ask question with regards to a Law..
Does anyone willing to help me?
I just want a private conversation here..

Thanks..