Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Question  (Read 2622 times)

jamalcrawford

• View Profile
GPA Question
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
I am trying to get into law school from the University of Texas which many regard to be a public ivy. Doing some research I saw that institutions that offer an A+ (4.33) have those counted into their overall LSAC GPA though the cap is set at a 4.0. Unfortunately, the University of Texas does not offer an A+ just an A (4.0) and an A- (3.67). So I have that working against me at the moment in terms of other institutions offering an A+ and mine not. However, I see that those Universities that offer the A+ have an unusually high average GPA upon graduation. For instance, the average GPA for someone graduating from Harvard (my target school) is a 3.48. The average GPA at UT is a 3.02. My question alas, are comparative GPA's to your institution more important or the cumlative one given by the LSAC. I'm sure the latter is more important but are the abstract data considered?

cbiem8801

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GPA Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:50:47 AM »
I'm also really curious about this. Doesn't anyone have any insight?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:20 AM »
For what it is worth, Harvard does not offer A+, the top grade available is an A.

I do not have an particular insight to any given school, the answer regarding how schools consider GPA likely varies quite a bit by school. I suspect that most schools will put some weight on the LSAC reported cumulative GPA based on their thoughts on the quality/difficulty of the given school. Although I suspect that for most schools the value of this weighting is likely small.

Although it is not without flaw, the charts at www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ to get a feel for the variation of GPA getting accepted into school. For instance, here is the chart for the incoming class at HLS.

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

It looks like GPAs below 3.7 did not fare well, and regardless of GPA it seems that odds start getting bad with an LSAT below 168.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:19:03 AM »
I was under the impression that in general, the LSAC gpa was all that mattered.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »
I was under the impression that in general, the LSAC gpa was all that mattered.

Given the pressure that most schools are under to acquire and maintain a good rank, I would guess that your statement is more true then not. Although I do think that some schools will favor (by only the smallest amounts), UG schools that impress them, obvious attempts at difficult and challenging courses, but the amount of favor given to these elements would likely not make a large dent, if I were to hazard a guess I would  say that the acceptable difference would likely be much closer to a .05 variation in GPA then it would be to a .5 variation.