Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it too soon for me to study for the LSAT?  (Read 1358 times)

DataEast

• View Profile
Is it too soon for me to study for the LSAT?
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
I'm an incoming college freshman this year and it is very important that I get into a good law school. I was thinking about buying the logic games bible and studying all four years of my undergrad. Is this a good idea?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too soon for me to study for the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
It is great you have this goal already.  Your first two years, really concentrate on keeping your GPA high (3.75 or higher would be best).   This is another important aspect of law school admissions

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
I don't believe the OP and suspect it could be pickle or somebody similar attempting a flame thread. 

When I started UG I didn't have a clue about LS, graduate schools, etc., that type of stuff was galaxies away from my thinking and what I had learned about at the time.  I pretty much knew that high school was over, I was of age to get arrested and that I was supposed to start trying to do something productive in life by exploring a few directions and trying to pick one to go with. 

The odds of somebody that hasn't even started UG yet wanting to start prepping for the admission exam for a following 3 year program after the 4+ one that has not even begun are pretty darn low.

If this is real OP:  chill for a few years on the LSAT prep idea, enjoy UG, figure out what subjects you like/dislike, keep that GPA up, go out on dates, HAVE FUN while you can!

attyfee1

• View Profile
    • Lower My Attorneys Fees
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
I agree with Jeffort, try to have some fun, get the GPA high, and make some friends.  Study for the LSAT the summer after your third year!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
october 2016 test be hardest ever.

Obliterati

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm an incoming college freshman this year and it is very important that I get into a good law school. I was thinking about buying the logic games bible and studying all four years of my undergrad. Is this a good idea?

I literally registered because of this question. I'm in the same position as the OP and I already started studying for the LSATs. I have the Kaplan LSAT study book lolol. Guess I should wait a year or 2?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
I started four months before my test although the first 6 weeks were 30+ hours per week.  There is only so much official LSAC material out there.  If you go through it a year before you plan on taking the test, you may have trouble staying sharp.

I'd say six months out is not a bad starting point.  I would start taking a test per week, sometimes 2 in a week, starting around the fourth month.  That gives you 16-20 official times tests, in addition to your learning work that is untimed

REALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
Its never to soon, but take a prep course first. It will help.

You can't learn anything even with a PHD to help you pass the LSAT that a GED hasn't taught you.It's about being able to issue spot and resoning skills. Just take a prep course and you'll be fine. If you have to retake it, you'll have many chances in that time gap.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:56:32 PM »
Well, I don't agree with the never to soon sentiment when it comes to getting obsessed with prepping for the test right before or early into UG studies. 

Proceeding with it all one degree at a time, especially when transitioning from HS to UG seems pretty rational to me.  That UG GPA is a giant and the 2nd most influential factor for Law School admission. 

Of course that GPA takes 4+ years of steady work and dedication to keep up with many many graded tests and things along the way that cannot be undone later.  Unlike the LSAT you don't get second chances with your UG classes and GPA.  Once grades are on your transcript you are stuck with them. 

When just starting UG I think it would be prudent to focus a lot more of the next several years on getting and keeping that GPA high so that no matter how well you can and do score on the LSAT later you don't end up being a 'splitter' {low GPA high LSAT} having to compensate/make excuses for it later in your LS apps to convince some adcoms to let you in even though you didn't excel in your years of UG education.

There are no 'do-overs' to change your UG GPA unlike with the LSAT where you can cancel a bad day or take it again and expect the LS's to focus on your higher score like most LS's now do. 

It certainly doesn't take 4+ years of hard work and study to adequately prep for the LSAT in a way that ensures you achieve your maximum potential score.  Even if when you start prepping for the LSAT you flake out or 'F it up for some reason you still have more bites at the apple to try to lock in a great score. 

One screw up (or even more) on an administered LSAT does not tank your LS acceptance chances since you can take it again and expect most schools to look at and weigh more heavily a more recent higher score IN REPLACEMENT of a previous lower score. (of course it is much better to hit a great score the first time and not have to take it again)

In golf it is called a mulligan.  The LSAT and LS's (maybe cuz they are lawyers that have the time and $$ to golf for fun) understand and are willing to give mulligans on the LSAT but they are not with your UG GPA.  Even if with a mediocre UG GPA you go on to get a near perfect GPA in a masters or some other graduate degree program LS's DO NOT and will NOT substitute it for your UG GPA when applying their admissions index numbers scheme to your application when deciding to admit you or not.

As I said before, DO GOOD in UG, keep that GPA high, have fun, explore life and then get serious about setting aside a number of months for dedicated LSAT prep at the end of your UG years (or even later if you decide to take time off to travel the world, find yourself, start a band and try to get famous on youtube or something else in between).

As a side note:  It would be pretty funny to read an addendum to a LS app intended to explain away a sub-par GPA by telling them something like 'I didn't achieve grades that reflect my potential in UG because I was pre-occupied focusing my time studying to take the LSAT.'   :D

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
As a side note:  It would be pretty funny to read an addendum to a LS app intended to explain away a sub-par GPA by telling them something like 'I didn't achieve grades that reflect my potential in UG because I was pre-occupied focusing my time studying to take the LSAT.'   :D

haha