Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about reapplications...  (Read 666 times)

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
Question about reapplications...
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »
Hello,

I pretty much have no chance anymore at getting off either of the two waitlists im on for my applications this year, but I cant seem to find any information to answer my questions about reapplying. Naturally, I want to try again for next year's admissions, but I am just curious,

1) Do I need to retake the LSAT to reapply?
2) Do I need new letters of reccomendation?
3) I assume I need a fresh personal statement?

Getting a new LSAT score shouldnt be too difficult (in fact, hopefully I can study some more and get a better score) but getting new letters of rec would be incredibly diffcult because I am no longer in college (graduated) and dont have anyone else who can write letters for me (I had professors do it this cycle)

Thanks....

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Question about reapplications...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »
1) Do I need to retake the LSAT to reapply?

no, but you should.  a higher score will always help your chances

2) Do I need new letters of reccomendation?

no, the same ones are fine

3) I assume I need a fresh personal statement?

I don't think it's a necessity, but it's a really good thing to do- shows you put some effort into reapplying

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
Okay thank you.

I would retake LSAT again but Im afraid I wont have enough time to restudy for it. LSAT is my worst enemy, I have good gpa, good LOC, good writing/learning skill, but I studied for a year to take LSAT doing all I can and still got a measly 149. I would retake but im afraid I might do even worse next time...and if I register for Spring 2011 LSAT that will again put me into late in the admissions cycle. But if I register for December LSAT, that will probably not be enough time for me to study well enough to have a shot at doing better. :(

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
I think you could apply with your 149  retake the LSAT and have nothing to lose.  The majority of schools don't average your LSAT score so they will take the highest one you have and you can send your application in early then take the December/October LSAT and if your score improves let them know if it doesn't they probably won't consider it. 

Regarding the other questions, the poster above said is correct LOR's can stay the same and nobody will care.  It might be better to add something to your personal statement especially considering it wasn't that successful this time around. 

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice so far.

I am thinking that as soon as I know that neither school takes me (off the waitlist), then I can apply as soon as September right? Using the same LSAT score and letters? Then I can try to take the one in december by studying through the fall. I have a few things I can add to my personal statement but not much of interest...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »
Yep just apply with basically what you had before and spruce up your personal statement if possible. Another thing to consider is that some schools allow students to start in Spring so you could be in school by January. California Western does that and I know there are others that allow spring admission. If you wanted to get admitted for Spring you could apply with what you have today. It might be easier to get accepted if you apply for Spring admission as well. I am only speculating, but I would think less people would be applying for spring admission and some 1L's drop during or at the end of the first semester.  To replace the students that drop a  school might be more lenient when reviewing a spring application. That is pure speculation though and I have no idea if it would be easier to get admitted in Spring or Fall, it is just something to consider. Well good luck to you.

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
Thanks again,

From what I have seen, none of the schools that I have a shot at getting in take students in the spring semester...so I will have to try it for the fall 2011 semester. I just wonder if they review applications and decide to accept/decline as they come in, or do they wait til spring of 2011?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
You might have a shot at California Western with a 149 and they accept for Spring.  They might be getting taking over by the UC system to and if that happens they will probably skyrocket in the rankings for whatever that is worth.  Just something to consider, but I think there are several schools that accept Spring applicants with numbers similar to yours.

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
You might have a shot at California Western with a 149 and they accept for Spring.  They might be getting taking over by the UC system to and if that happens they will probably skyrocket in the rankings for whatever that is worth.  Just something to consider, but I think there are several schools that accept Spring applicants with numbers similar to yours.

I have a problem though, I can only go to schools in my area, IE, New York City/Close NJ (a stretch, need something accesible by public trans.). I have a medical condition that requires doctor's supervision and my doctor is here. And I wont feel secure having to transfer to another doctor, as other doctors havent been able to control my condition.

The schools over here dont have spring admission from what I can see :( but thanks for the idea...