Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Golden Gate Bridge suicide net worst idea of all time????  (Read 10638 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Golden Gate Bridge suicide net worst idea of all time????
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
To continue to display how bad the government of San Francisco is they have approved 50 million dollars to build a suicide net for the Golden Gate Bridge. There are 10,000 other ways to kill yourself in San Francisco besides jumping off the Golden Gate bridge. The Bay Bridge is only a few miles away and would be just as lethal if you jumped so it won't even stop people from jumping off bridges.  Anyways, considering the city and state are completely broke this 50 million dollars could go to something more productive than putting a massive net to prevent 1 of the 10,000 ways to kill yourself in San Francisco.  I think this is the worst idea of all time and if anyone can justify it at all please defend it I would love to hear a rational argument for it.

Preventing suicide is important and you could use 50 million dollars on something else that would solve the problem, but a gigantic net will not do it. I am just baffled at how much money San Francisco spends on things that have no effect at solving actual problems. I really think a 6 year old could come up with a more efficient plan to stop suicide than this.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Gate Bridge suicide net worst idea of all time????
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
Well, I guess the one main positive thing that could come out of it is jobs for unemployed construction workers. Plus, maybe it will save a few people. Who knows, maybe it can become a main attraction in SF. People could pay $15+ to jump off the bridge into the safety net. However, it definitely sounds like a huge waste of money.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Some jobs might be created, but they could spend 50 million on building something practical or that would make the city look better. Not only is this a waste of money it is going to make one of the cities most famous landmarks less appealing. A giant net does not increase the Golden Gate Bridge's appeal and tourists etc will be less impressed with it.  It is simply a terrible idea and I can't believe it got approved.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
you people must be loads fun party.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
Fern, judging by your writing, you been partying just a tad too much.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »

not mock handicapped.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »

not mock handicapped.

your stupidity is not a mental nor physical disability...you simply stupid.    no cure, putzy. ;) 

mock away!!!!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »
how you doing finding cures for ugly and stupid?

SemiMBA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
If it saves a single life, then it is worth it.  They say that most people realize their mistake on the way down (at least those who survived - we really don't know what the others thought).  It should have been installed years ago along with the moveable barrier to prevent head-ons. 

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
While a person can easily find another way to end their life if they want, the Golden Gate Bridge does have the highest incidence of suicides in the world.  Many times, people select a method/location based on the dramatic effect it will have.  The Golden Gate Bridge has to be appealing for that reason.  It won't deter all suicides in San Fran, but it will at least decrease its popularity as the place to commit suicide.  It will probably save lives and dissuade people, and I think that makes it worth it.