Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Addendum  (Read 1212 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GPA Addendum
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Rutgers University was the first college I enrolled in immediately following my graduation from high school.  Due to my own actions, I was immature and unprepared for the rigors of college school work.  As a result, my potential and abilities did not reflect in my grades which were my duty to maintain. Unfortunately at that time, I was more concerned with earning an income to pay my bills each month while also helping support my family rather than improving myself through education.  This eventually led to my failing each class in my fall 2002 semester as I stopped attending class in late October.  I alone take responsibility for my youthful mistakes.

What does everyone think of the above as my opening parapgraph?  I am on the fence on whether the line about what I wa smore concerned about sounds like an excuse or reason.  I am debating on if it should be there

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: GPA Addendum
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
I do not have an intamate knowledge of what the schools are looking for in an addendum, however, I would say try and stay more positive. It sounds like excuses, and not saying that its not reasonable, but they would rather hear of overcoming.

Phrase it someting like, "The grades that I recieved in the fall of 2002 are not a true indicator of my abilities or work ethic. I provided for my family in a tough period, which affected my academics, however, I was able to overcome this and ended very strongly".....just something along those lines. Pretend its an interview, always sping positive.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
My grades since returning to school in September of 2007 are evidence of who I am.  During that time, I have received grades of A- or above for each of my classes.  Currently, I am a diligent, hard working student as evidenced by my 3.98 grade point average since returning to school.   Further, I now assist students with their studies as a consultant at  Kean University Speech Lab.  This demonstrates my true capabilities for my learning of law.  I plan on continuing this trend of personal growth and improvement throughout the rest of my life.

This is how I was planning on finishing

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
"Rutgers University was the first college I enrolled in immediately following my graduation from high school. Due to financial restraints, I spent most of my effort in providing and caring for my family. While I am proud of the job that I did, my acadmemic work suffered, however my grades since returning to school in September of 2007 are more evident of who I am.  During that time, I have received grades of A- or above for each of my classes.  Currently, I am a diligent, hard working student as evidenced by my 3.98 grade point average since returning to school.   Further, I now assist students with their studies as a consultant at  Kean University Speech Lab.  This demonstrates my true capabilities for my learning of law.  I plan on continuing this trend of personal growth and improvement throughout the rest of my life."

Ya, kind of went off the deepend with editing, but I think that sounds great.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
Thanks.  that sounds much better and it is short and to the point.,

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
and what is wrong with the quote feature of this site?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Hard to say - but I suggest emphasizing the amount of time that passed between college stints.  A lot of people have a have freshman year - your lengthy time off supports your claim that you are a changed man (as apposed to a sophomore who just stopped drinking so much).  That long break is what sets you apart.  It will also emphasize your (relatively) advanced age, which I suspect is a positive for most schools.

actus_reus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:50:37 AM »
something along the lines of:

i was burdened with financial difficulties which demanded and ultimately consumed the majority of my time, thus my pursuit of academic success was neglected