Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you get back into law school?  (Read 11557 times)

nyzfinest28

• View Profile
    • Email
How do you get back into law school?
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:45:16 PM »
Hello all,

Well I'm actually new to this board, and I'm posting on here because I've read other discussions on here and found them to be really helpful. Starting off, I'm 22 yrs old, and this past year I completed my first year of law school. Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I got a letter stating that I had been dismissed because I had a GPA of 1.99 and the school required a GPA 2.00. I had a valid reason as to why my GPA was so low, and that mainly comes from unforeseen family problems I had to deal with this past year.

These past 2 weeks have been really difficult for me because it feels like everything I have been working towards for all these years has just been taken from me, and I can't do anything about it. I'm at a loss about what to do with my life. I graduated with a BA in Political Science in 2009 and I had an LSAT score of 153. I know I want to go back to law school but am not sure about how to get there. I have considered enrolling in a masters program and working full time in the time being, but I want to get back into law school ASAP. What would I need to do to get back into school, and do I even have a chance?

Thank you all in advance.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How do you get back into law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »
I think you could petition your school for re-admission if you have not already done so. Your school's handbook should have details about how to do that and if your family situation is terrible enough to explain your poor performance it is possible to get reinstated.

You should realize it is possible that failing out is the best thing that could happen to you. Schools don't want you to waste 3 years of your life and 100k to not pass the bar. I know a couple of people that went to higher ranked schools that don't really fail people out who finished near the bottom of their class and have now failed the bar 3 times.  They have no jobs and spent three years of their life to be 120k in debt and it would have been for them to have failed out.  Although it does suck to spend a year of your life and 30-40k with nothing to show for it could better to quit now. However, plenty of people fail at something in their life, but if you learned or matured from the experience you can still succeed.

Another thing you could to be reinstated is e-mail schools admissions offices and find out what is necessary to be admitted. I am sure people have failed out and come back, but it is difficult. Here is an uplifting website for your situation http://www.lawfficespace.com/2009/06/failing-out-of-law-school.html.  Well good luck and hopefully it works out.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
Try to get back in at all costs.  I left law school in Georgia in 1987.  I took the LSAT again in 2009 and when I went to apply to law schools in Florida, they said I was ineligible to even apply because I left law school.  The number of years did not matter.
Angie

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
What school did you attend?  I would certainly check out the handbook, but it seems to me that the administrations these days are just ruthless about dismissals. If you got a 1.9999999 your gone- even a very good reason may not fly.  A professor at my school who strictly follows the curve must give 5 to 10% of the class a failing grade of 0.0 or 0.5.  That terrified me from day one- especially after my first ever law school grade being a 1.7.  I may have been lucky getting that. After that though- I tightened things up and got mostly 2.8's to 3.2's.

nyzfinest28

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
Hey all, thanks for replying. Well there is an petition process which the school allows and I did do that but unfortunately they still found no reason to let me back in. I was not trying to make excuses during the meeting but I did tell them that I had to deal with unforeseen family problems which kept me traveling every weekend. I really do feel that this hampered my ability to study during the weekends and because of this I tried cramming as much as I could during the week. I even got letters from doctors and witnesses stating the situation I was in but I guess the appeals board didnt think I deserved another chance =/. And the sad part about all of this was that I literally had a 1.99 and the requirement was a 2.0.

So at this point I'm just trying to get a job and get experience and maybe do my masters or take some classes. But nothing is set in stone because this is all a very confusing time for me right now.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
Barond what school gives out mandatory F's? I didn't know any schools actually did that.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
No school that I know of explicitly does, but history shows some schools academically dismiss a small percentage of 1L's every year. Here at UDM, some professors do follow a curve wherefore F's do arise. Most professors give grades at their discretion.
This is what they list as the strict curve for mandatory classes:

Grade      Percent of Class
3.5-4.0                   5-15%
3.0-3.4                   20-40%
2.0-2.9                   35-55%
1.0-1.9      10%
0.0-0.5      5%

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
I don't know if the question "what school did you attend applies to me or the person who started; but, I was accepted to the Mercer U School of Law in 1987.  I accepted a full scholarship on the condition that I maintain straight A's.  I only got an A in Con Law.  B's and C's in the other classes.  Nevertheless, my transcript reads academically dismissed.  Based on that, I am not eligible to apply to any law school in Florida.

To the originator of this discussion thread:  what about becoming a paralegal for awhile?
Angie

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
How did you get kicked out with A's, B's, and C's??????  I see Barond it is not mandatory to give F's or D's, but it can happen. I just wouldn't imagine any school would want to fail out students since you are paying them to be there and that is why no school would ever have a mandatory 25% cut rate.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »
passaroa25 : I think you got some wrong information unless Florida is significantly different than Michigan.  I have bumped across 2 students at my school who had been previously academically dismissed. All you have to do is wait 2 years and your back in business.  You could possibly get back in 1 year. IF Florida schools have such a unfair rule to bar previously dismissed students you could always go to a school in another state and then relocate to Florida. I doubt this soo called rule you refer to even exists.

You seem to be pitching some sort of 'paralegal' program.  I don't know why anybody considering to be a lawyer would want to engage themselves in something like that. You went to law school in 1987 and still havent gave it another shot? You must not want to be a lawyer that bad.