Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I Become A Lawyer Dilemma! Help a HS Junior out!  (Read 4051 times)

artfuldodger23

• View Profile
Re: Should I Become A Lawyer Dilemma! Help a HS Junior out!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
I heard that a good SAT score will lead to a LSAT score because LSAT is logic and SAT is also logic (especially for the critical reading)?  It sounds kind of absurd because its a pre-college level test but I heard this from a lot of people who took their LSATs and are heading for law school

The only thing that will "lead to" a good LSAT score is lots and lots of preparation.  It is somewhat similar to the SAT in the sense that neither are really testing substantive knowledge, but that's about as far as that comparison goes.  A good SAT score may be predictive of a good LSAT score - I don't know - but one thing that is abundantly clear is that a good LSAT score requires preparation.  Lots and lots of preparation.

Just in case you missed that:  Lots and lots of preparation.
:)

Hahah gotcha  ;) .... Since I am thinking about doing a double major in Finance and Economics, would Corporate Law be a good choice?

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
There is a light year between your perspective on life as a JR in HS to undergraduate degree.  Only you can answer whether you truly want to be a lawyer, or will be able to answer that question in 5 or 6 years.  You will have experiences in college that may change your goals and you may decide to pursue another field or area of study.  Find your interest and passion and go for it.  It is tough to find a job as a lawyer out there right now, the market has changed -- there are a lot of JDs being produced and the number is increasing.  It's basic supply-and-demand.  Yes it is tough for everyone, but its especially hard for lawyers b/c of the extra investment made to go to law school - can be upwards of $100,000.  If you decide to go to LS after grad, go for the highest ranked you can get into - despite what others say, it matters.  The folks who say LS rank does not matter are the ones who have gone to lower ranked schools.  People from lower tier law schools have a harder time finding jobs that will allow their student loans to be repayed.

Personally, I will disuade my kids from law school unless it is a burning passion for them.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
I mostly agree with stinkypants.  It is far, far too early to start thinking about "corporate law" at this point.  His points are also very well taken regarding the challenges law students/graduates face.  A law degree is no guaranteed pass to easy street - in fact, almost the opposite is true.

While I may not actually attempt to dissuade my children (or other people's children) from going to law school, I feel quite strongly that you should not plan your undergraduate studies around your law school plans (other than maintaining a good GPA, which you should be doing anyway).

Don't worry about which major is best for law school - instead worry about which major you enjoy and can do well in.  More importantly, worry about how your chosen major will prepare you for life if/when you decide NOT to go to law school.  English, polysci, and history are popular majors for law school (foolishly, in my opinion), but none of those provide easy alternate career paths.  Science, engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. - those are studies and degrees that will do you well if you do not go to law school, and will also help you if you do.  (Although a separate, perhaps somewhat amusing, subject would be why I think the engineering mindset provides a challenge during and after law school).

Bottom line - lots and lots of people think they want to be lawyers.  Many are right.  Many are right but fail.  And many more were wrong all along, but stubbornly went anyway and paid the price.

Again, probably too early for you, but if you feel like reading I [plug] recommend "Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold" by my friend Thane Messinger.  It has an extensive discussion of whether to go to law school at all. [/plug]

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
EXCELLENT point - there is nothing magical about polysci or history that helps with law school.  I went in with a strong science background and work experience, which helped for environmental and admin law.  Lawyers need to understand more than the law, they need to understand the concepts behind the law.  For example, if your interest lies in finance and international trade, that can lead you to a field of law in that area.  If you are a conservationist and environmentalist at heart - environmental law could be the way to go.  Your specialty in law can parallel your other interests. 

Morten makes a great point, pursue your interest as if you may not go to law school - you are then prepared to work in an area that interests you, or you are better prepared to associate that interest with the practice of law.

Don't worry about which major is best for law school - instead worry about which major you enjoy and can do well in.  More importantly, worry about how your chosen major will prepare you for life if/when you decide NOT to go to law school.  English, polysci, and history are popular majors for law school (foolishly, in my opinion), but none of those provide easy alternate career paths.  Science, engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. - those are studies and degrees that will do you well if you do not go to law school, and will also help you if you do.  (Although a separate, perhaps somewhat amusing, subject would be why I think the engineering mindset provides a challenge during and after law school). [/plug]

artfuldodger23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Thank you sooo much Stinkypants and Morten for helping me solidify my liquid mind! I appreciate it a lot. I realize I have plenty of time and now I should be worrying about my GPA and getting in to undergrad and doing well from there.  And morten I will definitely check that book you suggested to me!  ;D

REALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 03:27:56 AM »
Takeing advice from anyone who calls himself "stinkypants" might not be the best start for your young career.  ::)

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
You got that right!

Takeing advice from anyone who calls himself "stinkypants" might not be the best start for your young career.  ::)