Law Students > 2L job search

Resume question re published decision

(1/1)

joq888:
This summer I've been interning for a judge who's encouraged me to write several decisions. I was just told that one will be published in a very well respected law journal. I know I can write that I drafted decisions on my resume, but is there any graceful way to add this publication to the blurb as well? obviously, his name is on it and there was editing - maybe say drafted a decision which went on to be published in yadda yadda yadda?

john4040:

--- Quote from: joq888 on July 28, 2010, 04:52:03 PM ---This summer I've been interning for a judge who's encouraged me to write several decisions. I was just told that one will be published in a very well respected law journal. I know I can write that I drafted decisions on my resume, but is there any graceful way to add this publication to the blurb as well? obviously, his name is on it and there was editing - maybe say drafted a decision which went on to be published in yadda yadda yadda?

--- End quote ---

The ruling/order/opinion will be published in a well respected law journal?  I've never seen any well respected law journals publish cases.  Maybe someone cited it.. but they probably did not publish it.  But, I digress...

You should ask your judge before putting that on your resume.  You are under an obligation to keep all work you perform in your internship confidential - even after the internship ends.  For many judges, this means that you cannot disclose which cases you worked on.  Some judges also adopt the belief that because he/she signs his/her name on the work product, it is NOT your work product, and you shouldn't take credit for it.  My judge would not allow me to state that I drafted anything for "x" case; however, I could generally disclose that I drafted rulings, orders, and opinions.  YMMV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version