Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One Student's Perspective  (Read 1249 times)

amygem

• View Profile
One Student's Perspective
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
I recently checked out this board for this first time in a while and was a little disturbed at some of the posts. I want to offer my perspective on RWU Law. I am a rising 2L and a RI native. RWU was the only school I applied to for a couple reasons: (1) I didn't want to leave RI and (2) I had a lot of loans from undergrad and figured I had a good shot at getting a scholarship. I went to an Ivy undergrad and wasn't sure what to expect from RWU. I've talked to many alumni and from what I can tell, the school has made tremendous strides in the last decade. I love it here. I did well last year, so that may explain at least part of my positive outlook, but I can tell you that the vast majority of my classmates also enjoy both the academic experience and the community at RWU. My professors were all fantastic and supportive. For the most part, my classmates are hardworking, smart, nice people. I don't know what my experience would have been like elsewhere, but I am very happy here.

Of course, anyone who applies to law school needs to carefully think about their career goals and their financial situation. It made a lot of sense for me to go to RWU notwithstanding its low rank because I know I want to practice in Rhode Island. Also, I'd like to work for the government in some capacity, and I didn't want to take out loans to get a degree from a 'better' school.

Anyway, consider your source when reading posts about RWU. It's up to you to decide if the perspective of a disgruntled alum or a satisfied current student should weigh more heavily in your decision making. If anyone has any questions about RWU Law, feel free to message me.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: One Student's Perspective
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »
I see the same things on here about my school and it drives me nuts. The reality is a lot of people who have never even taken the LSAT decide to post their opinions about law schools.  Sometimes they talk about some friend of a friend who had a bad time at so & so law school and they decide to present that experience as absolute fact.  Anyways, it is nice to see yet another tier 4 student with first-hand experience say good things about their school. Good luck to you.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: One Student's Perspective
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
Before I chose to accept the offer from Pace Law, I almost enrolled at RWU Law. I must say, everything you said, sounds about right to the feel I got from the campus. I do not know where all of the critisism comes from, but I enjoyed everything about RWU. It seems like an up and comming school, and I feel in the next few years will shed this image they have of being a terrible school.

I chose Pace, but that had nothing to do with RWU or the way they treated me, they were top notch and very helpful the entire way through, and the teachers there seem very intent on teaching students how to be great lawyers. I chose Pace because I thought it was a better fit for ME.

I would recomend RWU law, and everything I hear from people who actually know what they are talking about is very positive.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words