Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4-1L  (Read 1274 times)

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
T4-1L
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Do you think that the insane 1L attrition rates at T4's are based on a full year(3 semesters) or standard academic year (2 semeseters) ?

barond

• View Profile
Re: T4-1L
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:25 PM »
I'm thinking 2 semesters.  A lot of that 'attrition' arises from students transferring during the summer after 2nd semester grades. Mathematically, it would be hard to survive 30 credits and somehow drop below the required GPA from 6 credits in the 3rd semester. What is the point you are trying to make?

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:28 AM »
what do you mean 6 credits?

I'm thinking 2 semesters.  A lot of that 'attrition' arises from students transferring during the summer after 2nd semester grades. Mathematically, it would be hard to survive 30 credits and somehow drop below the required GPA from 6 credits in the 3rd semester. What is the point you are trying to make?

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
Assuming arguendo that your saying a full year constitutes 3 semesters( Fall, Winter, and then Summer semesters). During the summer, my T4 only allows up to 7 credits to be taken.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:26 AM »
which one is that?

Assuming arguendo that your saying a full year constitutes 3 semesters( Fall, Winter, and then Summer semesters). During the summer, my T4 only allows up to 7 credits to be taken.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
So you are saying that 1/3 of your total credits couldn't impact your grade?

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:32:41 AM »
It would not be 1/3rd of the total credits. Closer to 1/5th.  The summer class schedule is more condensed and thus the 7 credit maximum limit. The fall/winter semesters you typically take 15 credits. Also, the more credits you earn the less impact a bad grade has. Thus bad grades arising out of the 3rd semester will be softened and therefore not much attrition shall arise. My T4 = UDM. 

The good thing about insane attrition is that it brings a sharp focus to the task at hand (lawyerly analysis on exams) . Even though academic attrition is mostly urban legend, it certainly exists here and keeps you scratching and clawing just to keep your head above water.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
So after that first year, does the curve get harder with all the dummies failed out or does it get easier with the smarties all transfering?

It would not be 1/3rd of the total credits. Closer to 1/5th.  The summer class schedule is more condensed and thus the 7 credit maximum limit. The fall/winter semesters you typically take 15 credits. Also, the more credits you earn the less impact a bad grade has. Thus bad grades arising out of the 3rd semester will be softened and therefore not much attrition shall arise. My T4 = UDM. 

The good thing about insane attrition is that it brings a sharp focus to the task at hand (lawyerly analysis on exams) . Even though academic attrition is mostly urban legend, it certainly exists here and keeps you scratching and clawing just to keep your head above water.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
It appears to be easier. I also wouldn't say people who get dismissed are 'dummies' per se.  Getting a bad grade can happen to anybody- it certainly happened to me in Torts.  The thing is to keep plugging along and making sure you learn from your mistakes and not perform poorly multiple times.

The curve also gets relaxed for all non-required courses. After the 1st year you are allowed to take electives, select easier professors, etc.  Certainly, having the top students leave also helps.  Almost zero people get dismissed after the first year, but you have to be soo careful even as a 3rd year. I would be sleeping a lot better prior to exams if I had the luxury of a 'bad' grade being a 3.0- like many top schools who indulge in grade inflation arising out of pressure to keep a prestigious image.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »
Out of curiosity how many people do you think actually failed out of your school for academic reasons? I know a few people that failed out, but those people honestly skipped quite a few classes, never read, and just did not put the work in at least that is my opinion. I just wanted to know if you noticed the same thing at UDM.