Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nashville School of Law vs. UT-Law  (Read 1897 times)

hollycpa27

• View Profile
    • Email
Nashville School of Law vs. UT-Law
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I am trying to decide if anyone thinks Nashville School of Law is a wise investment. I may or may not decide to practice law after school as I have an MBA now. I am interested in attending law school, but have no desire to quit work and finish. I would like to continue working while attending the non-traditional Nashville School of Law. Does anyone have any recommendations for Nashville School of Law or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gallagheria

• View Profile
Re: Nashville School of Law vs. UT-Law
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
I see no problem with it other than the fact you cannot get federal student loans. But it does not look expensive and is state-accredited, which is all that matters. 

burton72stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
I dont think you ll have any such prob....if the school allows you.....

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:29:48 AM »
Make sure you have no chance of needing to move out of state at any point in your career. Most bars will not allow you to sit with that school's JD. It closes literally thousands of opportunities. I am not knocking the school's quality of education, but a JD does you little good if you are confined to one or two states with no jobs.

Just buyer beware, it is cheap for a reason.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »
I was looking at Nashville School of Law myself.  I am in Georgia and could easily pack it up and go to TN.  I have 18 years legal experience plus a Masters in Law & Public Policy.  Here was the problem... they require an LSAT score and use a formula to figure out if you can get it.  Based on the formula, I could not get in.  My undergrad GPA was 3.69, but my LSAT was way low which caused a problem.  I am like you... not sure I want to practice law since I will be almost 50 when I am done but I want to learn the law.  I need a school that is flexible and inexpensive.  You cannot get financial aid at Nashville. 

If you GPA and LSAT scores are high (they do not use Masters degree in deciding on admission) then go somewhere else.  I don't have a lot of options becasue of my LSAT score.  I am looking at Birmingham School of Law.  They have a night program or a weekend program.  I am going to look into their program.  No LSAT required if GPA over 2.75.  There is a chart you can get online that shows all 50 states (plus DC) and what their requirements are for taking the bar in their state if your JD is from a school that is not ABA approved.