Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 150 on a few Practice LSAT. What is a reasonable goal?  (Read 1923 times)

GatechTheron

• View Profile
    • Email
150 on a few Practice LSAT. What is a reasonable goal?
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »
All-

As you can tell, I am brand new to this forum.  Can someone relate to my situation?:

I am scoring around 150  :-[ by taking a few practice LSATs.  This is just a benchmark, as I have not begun preparing for the exam.  Has anyone had a similar LSAT before they started studying?  If so, what was your final LSAT??  How much time did you spend studying?

Thanks for your time!

-Theron Matthews

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 150 on a few Practice LSAT. What is a reasonable goal?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »
First, I would recommend not taking any more tests until you prep some.  If you take to many tests before prepping, IMO, you will only reprodice bad habits that may become hard to break. BikePilot is much more advanced than me, so BP may expand on this.

As for your potential the answer is lawerlike.  It depends.  It depends on your natural ablility and your work ethic.  I went from a 153 to a high practice of 177, before settling on a 173 on test day.  I went into my first diagnostic knowing nothing about the test.  I did not know how many sections were on in it.  I was an open, empty book.
I prepped from Feb-June.  I started off with about 30 hours for the first 2-3 weeks, before slowing scaling down as I imporvewd as to prevent burn out.  I took at least one test per week from the end of February to June (over 5000 questions anwered).

That being said, there was a girl in my course who started with a 151 and ended with a 153.  Again I do believe I had more natural abilit.  MOre importantly, I know I put in the time when she did not.  So take you and you desires, ablility, and will to sacrifice, and ou may find your answer

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Acing the LSAT is more due to natural ability and work placed into it than just hard work. If you don't have the ability it will show. I have been scoring 180 every practice test so far and all the questions seem more elementary. When I do take the LSAT this fall I will score a 180 more than likely.

GatechTheron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
I do see how the exam could be mostly based on natural ability.  If everyone were able to master this exam, what good would it be?  I apprecaite the feedback!

Thanks,
Theron Matthews

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
Acing the LSAT is more due to natural ability and work placed into it than just hard work. If you don't have the ability it will show. I have been scoring 180 every practice test so far and all the questions seem more elementary. When I do take the LSAT this fall I will score a 180 more than likely.

Anyone taking wagers on this?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
I do see how the exam could be mostly based on natural ability.  If everyone were able to master this exam, what good would it be?  I apprecaite the feedback!

Thanks,
Theron Matthews

I think a good number of people can master this exam, but not in a reasonable time frame.  There really is a system to it, and beating the test is a learnable skill.  At a certain point, however, it's worth more to just take the score you've got and go become a lawyer.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

Anyone taking wagers on this?

I wouldn't even know how to calculate the odds of this being true about our board resident pickle.   

MEMEMEME

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
Note SOP has never even taken the LSAT yet anyway.