Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Female,Vietnamese, 3.49GPA/140LSAT/contemplating LAW School ...  (Read 961 times)

elise212

• View Profile
    • Email
...Hey there all...I am 32yo, Female, Vietnamese and am thinking about Law School...I barely studied at all for the LSATS back in June and got a 140..not so impressive but I always have anxiety and feel better after taking any exam at least once so I am gearing up to take it again for OCT. 2010 and wanted to know what is the likelihood of being accepted w/my current stats?  My Undergrad gpa was 3.49 and I've been working since 2006 and am thinking of applying to Temple, Widener, and Drexel for Fall 2011.

If anyone has any positive input or insight...I should have pursued the law thing 10 years ago, but I was in a different frame of mind...and truly believe my time is now.

Just wondering how fierce scores are in their selection process and if my Vietnamese/Female factors will positively affect their consideration for the diversity card...

dramaticpaws

• View Profile
Re: Female,Vietnamese, 3.49GPA/140LSAT/contemplating LAW School ...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Retake or "Welcome to Cooley Law!"

But seriously, retake. If you improve enough (155+) then you might be able to pull some scholarship money from your local TTT.

If you don't improve, re-think the whole law school thing.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
Being Vietnamese and female won't have any effect (Asians -- who are all lumped together by admissions committees -- are an over-represented minority).

Obviously you need to retake. You certainly won't get in with a 140. See how you do on the next one and come back.

elise212

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »
I already knew it was a given that the 140 is pretty unimpressive but I only mentioned the whole Vietnamese/Female thing because the schools that I am looking at are actually trying to attract females and minorities into the law school program...especially Drexel being a newly accredited institution...they are trying to recruit specifically women and/or minorities.  Also keeping in mind, I am from Philadelphia which is highly populated with a huge Vietnamese community and if you try to google Vietnamese lawyers in the area, you can barely find 5 lawyers or law firms that can successfully represent those that are Vietnamese with limited English speaking abilities so you have to know Vietnamese to get those clients...so I get that "asians" are lumped into one category....in most cases...I do think sometimes the specifics of what asian you are will be considered based on where you apply...maybe it's wishful thinking on my part...only time will tell...I will update you guys...thanks for your feedback though...I really appreciate it!

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
Well, I don't think being Vietnamese will help with admissions. However, knowing a foreign language can help for getting an actual job, and it sounds like in your situation it could be a big boost. Good luck on LSAT.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
Cooley will accept you.

I lol when I saw 3.49 and 140 LSAT. That is not good by any measure. You need to up the LSAT score by a larger margin say, 20 points?

elise212

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Sonofapickle...I totally agree...it was just a test lsat I took as I really didn't prepare for it...I wanted to see what I would score if I hadn't and would be a better rubric for me to know how intensive I'd need to study...which obviously is ALOT lolol....All I can do is study and prepare as best I can and see what happens; whatever will be, will be ...que sera sera lol....

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
Asian lawyers are HOT!

Plus you are an ethnic female, that will help you on your aps. Schools want that, not just the pastyskinned-sausagefest they normally have.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
Retake the LSAT.  /thread