Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: E-mails from law schools  (Read 2385 times)

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
E-mails from law schools
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:24:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm a new guy on the forums that has been receiving emails and postcards from various law schools. I just wanted to know when one particular school sends you some info, does that mean they are seriously considering you? I was thinking that was the case when St. Louis University sent me a postcard, but when I received an email from William & Mary's law school, I became a bit skeptical. In the email, they actually wrote that they welcomed my application which was very pleasing news. Unfortunately, my low gpa & and lsat (2.8, 136) makes me question whether this is legit. Is this common for everyone else?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: E-mails from law schools
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
Did you check the thing on LSAC saying you wanted schools to be able to see your info and contact you? I didn't allow it, so I never got any of that stuff. I know others who did get some e-mail from schools by allowing their info to be visible on LSAC. FCSL, for example, recruits people that way. They send them an e-mail telling them they are pre-accepted or something like that, and telling them that they just need to send in an application. However, I have also heard about schools that offer fee waivers and contact students to get them to apply to increase the number of students applying, so that they can reject a higher number of applicants and appear more competitive. Would you happen to be an extremely unusual minority? Or is there something extraordinary about you that W&M would know about? If not, I'm not sure why they are contacting you because they are aT30 LS and their 25%-75% LSAT is 161-166 and GPA is 3.42-3.77 (http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html). Honestly, I'm not sure what ABA LS you will be able to get into with your LSAT & GPA. Your LSAT score is more of a problem than your GPA. Have you considered retaking the LSAT?

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
Yeah, I think it is called the Candidate Referral Service. I am a minority, but I'm only a black guy. I don't think there is anything too special about that. They didn't offer me a fee waiver in the email, but maybe they would if I asked. I have no idea. I really don't think there is anything extraordinary about myself that they would know about, or any other law school for that matter. I knew about W&M's high ranking, and that's why I was quite surprised by the email. As far as the LSAT is concerned, I will be taking it again in October. I figure I can't do much worse than the first time, so why not? My undergrad school is LSU if it helps.

Thanks for the response.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:31 AM »
If you sign up for the service a lot of people give you information, because they want you to apply so they can reject you to make their acceptance rate look better. Good old U.S. News having schools blatantly lie and encourage people. That is whole other subject, if If you are black it does help tremendously in admissions at least that is what it looks like on lawschoolnumbers so that also explains some of the cards as URM admissions commitee will be much more lenient in regards to your numbers.

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
If you sign up for the service a lot of people give you information, because they want you to apply so they can reject you to make their acceptance rate look better. Good old U.S. News having schools blatantly lie and encourage people. That is whole other subject, if If you are black it does help tremendously in admissions at least that is what it looks like on lawschoolnumbers so that also explains some of the cards as URM admissions commitee will be much more lenient in regards to your numbers.

Well, its nice to know that they're lenient in the case of minorities. I'm probably going to still apply to W&M as a joke, but I'm fully aware the admissions officers will likely laugh their ass off when they see my scores. That would really suck if they're simply out to pad their application statistics.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
If you can bring up your score 10-15 points, you should be able to get into quite a few T-4s. The minority status will help you some too. If you can't bring it up very much, you should consider applying to NCCU. NCCU specifically says that it is geared toward minority students and they tend to look past lower LSAT scores. They also happen to have really inexpensive tuition and offer both part-time & full-time options. Good luck on the LSAT!  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:52:29 AM »
You probably could get into a school somewhere like Cicerro said NCC is a good option.

I know it does suck about the letters, but the truth is U.S. News considers acceptance rate without looking into any depth into the numbers they report. Schools do anything they can to manipulate U.S. News idiotic formula and one way is giving out fee waivers and postcards.

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
I really appreciate the help from the both of you. I will make sure to look into NCCU, but hopefully I can produce a much better result on the October LSAT. Ya'll take care of yourselves!

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
I actually had one more question. What is the word on Thomas M. Cooley law school? Everything I've heard about the school makes it seem as though its better to just not go to law school than go there. Is it really that awful, or are they worth considering? Obviously, I don't expect much with my credentials, but I would like for it to somewhat pay off in the long run if I end up there. Any feedback would be great.

Mcbeast11

• LSAT 136 / UGPA 2.8
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »
Man, that is fantastic news! I really don't care where I end up studying law that much, but I figure if I'm able to do it in California, that would be excellent. I would rather not have to settle for a non-ABA school, but I'm willing to take whatever I can get. This would be a great backup plan should I screw up on the October LSAT. Much thanks for the suggestion bigs5068.