Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-time Santa Clara or Full-time Penn State? Please help!  (Read 1196 times)

lawjt

• View Profile
    • Email
I have been accepted to both Santa Clara, as a part-timer, and Penn State as a full-timer. I have no intention of working during the school year. I wish to practice in California after graduating. I would also like to have the chance of transferring after my first year if I do well. At Santa Clara I will be taking 21 units during the regular 1L year and 8 units in the summer before the 2nd year. UCLA, for example, told me that it is possible to transfer after the first year, although one is seen as "having less of a basis". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So confused right now.....

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part-time Santa Clara or Full-time Penn State? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
If you want to live in California go to a California School. A tier 4 in California will open more doors for you in California than Penn State will. Never go to school with the intention of transferring. You will need to finish in the top 20% maybe even top 10% of your class to do that and nothing against you, but everyone in law school is smart and there is an 80 to 90% chance you finish in the top 10 or 20%. 

If you go to Penn State they will open doors on the West Coast, but no California law firm is going to fly out to interview you in Carlisle and they are not going to pay for you to visit them. Penn State is a good school, but nobody is going to jump through hoops for a Penn State Grad.

exspes

• View Profile
Re: Part-time Santa Clara or Full-time Penn State? Please help!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »
Another factor to focus on, is do you want to be fulltime or partime?

Some people do good with it all at once and others need to take it slower. No shame in either. Be honest with yourself though. If you got less than a 160 on  your lsat you probally want to start part time if you want to stay in the top half of the class.