Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2-year J.D. of Kansas University vs. 3-year J.D. of Saint Louis U.  (Read 1365 times)

mexli

• View Profile
    • Email
The fall semester is coming soon. But I still have not make my decisions. I am an international student. I got 80% scholarship from SLU Law for its 3-year J.D. program. Comparatively, I got nothing from KU for its 2-year J.D. program because KU Law does not offer any scholarship to international students. For 2011 U.S. news rankings, KU ranks like 67, but SLU law only T3. KU is the top law school in the area of Kansas City, while SLU get its finest health law program. For 2-year J.D. program, I would say it is really hard to find jobs here by skipping one year law study and the chance to find internship. Thinking about the loans I need to repay if I choose KU, I think it is a really bitter decision for me to make. To SLU Law, I really don't know what is the legal career prospects of SLU Law, because I am not familiar with Saint Louis legal market at all. Or maybe is it better choice to retake my LSAT (my first and current LSAT is 164), and reapply for next year? Help me please, guys! I need more information...Any advices would be highly appreciated.

exspes

• View Profile
The 2 year is pretty intense from what people in it have told me. You don't get any summers off and go a full 15 credits all the way.
I'd do the 3 year plan if I were you. Better chance of a higher GPA and higher class standing.

mexli

• View Profile
    • Email
Is your friend also an international student?

exspes

• View Profile
Not the ones that I personally know of no. (although many are, I just don't know them as well)
Why do you ask? Are you in a hurry to get back to your home nation? Are you on a timed visa that is only for 2 years?
Otherwise that shouldn't matter.

Is your friend also an international student?

mexli

• View Profile
    • Email
No, I am not. I just would like to know are they on the same 2-year J.D. Program as me. Wonder whether the courses plan would be the same. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. It gives me some clues.

exspes

• View Profile
Your welcome, and to answer the other question yes there are Canadians and Europeans in the classes on the same schedules.

No, I am not. I just would like to know are they on the same 2-year J.D. Program as me. Wonder whether the courses plan would be the same. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. It gives me some clues.

mexli

• View Profile
    • Email
I suddenly feel I may be better to pass out the two law schools, and retake the LSAT again in October. Or maybe I shall simply take the Feburary Exam in 2011, and then leave the U.S. and come back to my home country (since I am a LLM already, I could take the NY bar exam).  All in all, the issue of finding a job really upsets me. If I ends up not finding a job to repay the loans after spending such long time, it maybe better to pass them out. Somebody please give me your thoughts.