Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which school should I attend?  (Read 1492 times)

bgl5704

• View Profile
Which school should I attend?
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:48 AM »
Stetson or Nova southeastern? Im considering transferring

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: Which school should I attend?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »
Hmmm.....

Depends really on personal prefrences. But just looking at statistics for both schools I would personally attend Stenson. But it should go more to your personal prefrence of the areas, the type of school, scholarship $$, and everything else.

I do not know all that much about either school since I am from the Boston area, but looking at employment (80% for Nova/93% for Stenson) I think speaks volumes.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

bgl5704

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
are you going to Pace Law in the fall?

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
Yup, how'd ya know haha. But yes, I am.
Independence forever.

bgl5704

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
I just visited Pace Law 2 days ago. I didn't like it that's why I'm probably going to stetson. Besides pace law what other law schools were u looking at?

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
I got into Maine Law, Roger Williams, West Virginia, Suffolk, Cooley, Franklin Pierce and Western New England. I only gave real consderation to RWU, WVU, WNEC, Maine, and Pace.

I liked Pace because of its international business certificate (I like more the study abroad where they can place you at an internship overseas), the area is nice, small class sizes, alumni network, and overall just felt right. Sorry it didn't for you, but everyone has different priorities.

Stetson seems to be a pretty decent school, though as I said, I don't know much about it, never really heard of it. Hope you enjoy it there!

Independence forever.

bgl5704

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
Yeah, Pace's law international certificate was pretty intriguing and their study abroad programs were top notch. Those were the main reason I applied too.

Kesha32

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Hello guys!

This sounds great,
I prefer to attend in CPU, it is a law school too...
I am planning to visit other school too........
Thanks for your info,
God bless....
make money online

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
Stetson has a better rep than Nova in FL. Stetson was T2 (but #100) until a couple years ago. I think they are about the same price, and if I remember correctly, I don't think either school is super generous with the schollys.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »
I may be able to help here.  I am a "local" in Stetson's area (Pinellas County, Florida), and some of my current professors are adjuncts at Stetson.  Stetson is clearly head and shoulders above Nova in almost every area.  Most importantly, for those of us that intend to practice in Florida, Stetson enjoys a much better reputation within the legal community than does Nova.

The absolute strengths of Stetson are its Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing programs.  The ALWD Citation Manual (the alternative to the Blue Book) was written/edited by Darby Dickenson, the Dean of Stetson Law.  I believe US News has Stetson ranked #1 for Trial Advocacy (if that's your thing).

If you have the numbers and soft factors, Stetson DOES in fact throw some $$$ around.  I believe they gave full rides to about 5% or so of the students.  Not bad in these belt-tightening times.   

As a non-trad (retired military officer) with pretty solid stats, the only way I would attend Stetson in lieu of paying full price at Florida(USNWR #47) or Florida State (USNWR #54) would be with a full ride.  I am crossing my fingers.  I would just love living at home and not having to rent my house out.  I am looking at next year's cycle (2012). I am definitely a proponent of assuming the absolute MINIMUM in debt for law school.

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"