Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 140 by just putting C all the way down.  (Read 6986 times)

exspes

• View Profile
140 by just putting C all the way down.
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »
Do you think that its true that you can get a 140 but guessing the same all the way down?

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: 140 by just putting C all the way down.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »
Why would you want to? I mean, basically with a 140 or below it will be tough to get into ANY law school with ANY GPA, I mean, I guess its possible, never thought of trying it. But its something that I don't see why anyone would want to.

But now that you mention it....interesting.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
I'm already in, with a higher score, but I heard that and was wondering if it's true. I wonder since people here and on the street too will tell me how they got as low as a 130(or sometimes below) and it seems to me that you would have to be having a real hard time with the test if you recieved less than 140 if it were true.

Anyone have enough free time(and the money) to go test it for us?

ElFieryHabanero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/MaraudingJ/June2006Scale.jpg

Here's a random LSAT scale. Since there are 100 questions and with five choices each, if someone just guessed each answer or answered C down the line they'll get around 20 right, putting them at a 126.

changethegame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »
Why would you want to? I mean, basically with a 140 or below it will be tough to get into ANY law school with ANY GPA, I mean, I guess its possible, never thought of trying it. But its something that I don't see why anyone would want to.

Not really.  A friend of mine, actually a summer roommate, got a 136 on his LSAT (took it just once).  He had a 2.8 GPA from Hofstra to go with it.  He graduated from Vermont Law School in 2008 and is now making bank as an entertainment lawyer.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
I'm already in, with a higher score, but I heard that and was wondering if it's true. I wonder since people here and on the street too will tell me how they got as low as a 130(or sometimes below) and it seems to me that you would have to be having a real hard time with the test if you received less than 140 if it were true.

Anyone have enough free time(and the money) to go test it for us?

There's no need to waste the time and money.  Just take one of the tests that has been released, go to the answer key, count the number of times "C" is the correct answer, and put that number into the chart that tells how many correct answers one needs to get to receive a given score.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:42 AM »

Not really.  A friend of mine, actually a summer roommate, got a 136 on his LSAT (took it just once).  He had a 2.8 GPA from Hofstra to go with it.  He graduated from Vermont Law School in 2008 and is now making bank as an entertainment lawyer.

I highly doubt this statement is accurate.  It is possible your friend got in to Vermont, as they're well known for having what is literally the highest acceptance rate in the nation, but as a 2.8 and a 136(!) are well below both medians, below both 25% marks, actually, I doubt even he would make the cut.  TBH it's doubtful he could even get into a 4th tier like Cooley with those numbers. 

Even if he did somehow get in by the grace of God (and some undoubtedly crazy softs), I also strongly doubt that he's making any sort of serious money from a relatively young, third tier school best known for its environmental law and not much else.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
A quick look at PrepTest 60.

Picking all A's - 16 correct, score of 120
Picking all B's - 16 correct, score of 120
Picking all C's - 26 correct, score of 130
Picking all D's - 26 correct, score of 130
Picking all E's - 15 correct, score of 120

Roughly dumb lock score of 20 on average, would equate to a score 124.

Hard to imagine that this would be a good idea for anyone this side of a potted plant.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
So what've we learned from this? If you have to guess use a C or D since based on the OP's research  those average out to higher overall scores when guessing is required. Wish I'd of known that, my guess's tended to be random!

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
C or D being a better choice is likely just an oddity of PrepTest60. I would not infer a preference for these options without a much larger data set.