Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not to pile on or offend the Cooley students, but  (Read 2781 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not to pile on or offend the Cooley students, but
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »
I am pretty sure all schools encourage you to stay at their school and want people to enroll. Again, Cooley is a business and they want to meet their budgetary profit concerns. It is basically a recruiting tool and they need to meet their bottom line it sucks they are raising tuition, but it happens at every single school in America.  I don't think it is a big deal at all, but that is my opinion. If  people need to go out and knock Cooley law school down to feel better about themselves go for it I guess.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »
I am pretty sure all schools encourage you to stay at their school and want people to enroll. Again, Cooley is a business and they want to meet their budgetary profit concerns. It is basically a recruiting tool and they need to meet their bottom line it sucks they are raising tuition, but it happens at every single school in America.  I don't think it is a big deal at all, but that is my opinion. If  people need to go out and knock Cooley law school down to feel better about themselves go for it I guess.

I'm just encouraging you not to say more than you mean.  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:12 PM »
No if Harvard runs out of money obviously they won't, but if they did getting money would be their number one concern. Money is every schools top concern, because if they don't have it then nothing matters.  If they can't pay their professors, dean, library, internet bill, so on then their reputation is going to sink pretty rapidly.

Just like any law firm or business in general they care about their reputation, but if they run out of money they will lay off people left and right throwing their reputation out the window.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »
No if Harvard runs out of money obviously they won't, but if they did getting money would be their number one concern. Money is every schools top concern, because if they don't have it then nothing matters.  If they can't pay their professors, dean, library, internet bill, so on then their reputation is going to sink pretty rapidly.

Just like any law firm or business in general they care about their reputation, but if they run out of money they will lay off people left and right throwing their reputation out the window.

I mean, this is like saying that my number one concern is breathing.  Believe me, it's not.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
Well played and yes that is true. However, if you are getting suffocated or drowning then breathing will rise up on your concern list pretty fast. It is highly unlikely either of those things will happen to you and I hope they don't. It is also unlikely Harvard will ever be in dire financial straights, but if they ever are in need of money they will make some cuts to their reputation to stay profitable.

I don't think Cooley is in anywhere near the financial shape that Harvard is in and they are a business that needs students to operate. If there are no students then they make no money and they are doing what is necessary to make money.  It is not a big shock to me all law schools are out to make money! The bartender isn't actually in love with me they want my money! Chipotle makes burritos to get money! AHHHHH I thought everybody just thought I was awesome, but now I realize all the customer service places I go to really just want me to spend money!  NOOO!!!

I personally don't see what is wrong with the e-mail, but that is my opinion.

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
If you are that fickle then I expect you to get a divorse in less than a year of marriage. "It all went downhill when out pastor kept pushing us to encourage people to avoid divorse and then the last nail in the coffin was when my husband sent an email asking me not to leave him, how dare he try to encourage me to do things that I should want to do anyways, I hope he burns in hell!!!!"

As for the reality of asking people to help recruit, in reality everyplace that expands will have growing pains. Heck.even when the armed forces were literally shrinking under Clinton, they still promoted their people for recruiting other recruits as do many corporations and other schools. Ever wonder why there are those ads out there asking people to enroll in their schools? Yeah, its called advertising. Word of mouth is just cheaper and more effective. "How dare they try to use a cheaper and more effective way, A-holes must've stayed awake in Marketing and economics classes while the rest of us were smoking pot!"

I think my favorite part of the article was this line: Thomas M. Cooley Law School ranked #12  among ABA accredited schools, according to Thomas M. Cooley Law School. I agree with the student in the article that the fact the Cooley publishes it's own rankings and rates itself so high every time makes it look bad. I also think that receiving an e-mail like that one would push me to transfer.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
I think my favorite part of the article was this line: Thomas M. Cooley Law School ranked #12  among ABA accredited schools, according to Thomas M. Cooley Law School. I agree with the student in the article that the fact the Cooley publishes it's own rankings and rates itself so high every time makes it look bad. I also think that receiving an e-mail like that one would push me to transfer.

I don't see a problem with putting out rankings themselves. If they think they have a better formula, thats fine with me. I don't believe the rankings for a second, but thats just my opinion. Who is to say USNews is accurate? Just because people fall for it doesn't make it right.

I am also not bothered by asking people to recruit, its actually a really good way to recruit people. The school can say whatever they want, but to hear positive responses from students, as long as they are not lying, is a very strong tool.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
I know Cooley's ranking are awesome. It literally has as much merit to me as the U.S. News Rankings, because they have objective facts in it.  If you want a lot of chair  Cooley is the place, chair space might not be the most important thing, but it is a FACT. U.S. News doesn't have any facts at all to support what makes a  school highly ranked. They use people's test scores prior to attending law school, placement after graduation (but what is placement I think unpaid legal internships after graduation qualify as placement and that is ridiculous. (I am not 100% on that.  2% for bar passage rate and 60% based on some lawyers/judges subjective opinion.  Who these lawyers judges are nobody knows probalby Harvard, Yale Grads that are just as biased as the writers of the Cooley Rankings.  If they at least produced the identifies of the people I wold have some respect for it, but as far as I know they do not identify anyone. 

At least Cooley has facts in their rankings tuition costs, square footage (obviously not that important, but at least a fact for potential law students with claustorphobia to consider, Cooley's rankings would probably be legit to me if they didn't rank themselves.  I do respect Cooley's rankings more than U.S. news because at least they use actual facts. 

U.S. News is just such a blatant scam disapproved by each and every single official law school organization. Yet people adamantly defend it and it just really blows my mind. A school goes from tier 2,3,4 all the time and you can go from 70-133 overnight based on god only knows what. I can't imagine how a school would improve or fall apart so rapidly in one year. Then suddenly surge back.  I know people will start praising U.S. News rankings in response to this, but it really is a scam. At least it got me a lot of scholarship money because of all my A's in undergrad for basketball that I put no effort in for. While people with molecular biology degrees studied their ass off and got B's/C's while I earned A's f;ing around putting a ball in a basket and I was rewarded for it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
Just to further how freaking stupid U.S. News rankings is not only do they rank the schools on no facts they rank anything they can get their hands on. My school according to U.S. News has the 38th best public interest program wtf does that mean and how or why would you even measure that.  The  Obvious answer is U.S. News is a for profit private magazine company and the more rankings they pump out the more money they make and they rank anything and everything with absolutely no formula to back it up.  It is just no f'ing stupid and I would love to hear one good argument defending U.S. News rankings existence.

Are Harvard and Georgetown really good law schools???  SHOCKING ANSWER YES!!! I could certainly have gone to Harvard or Stanford or something if I got a 180 on my LSAT and had a 4.0.  I did not need U.S. News to tell me Harvard was a good school I pieced that one together when I was 4 years old. The only thing U.S. News did do for me is it almost influenced me into making the worst decision in my entire life by considering going to tier 2/3 schools in areas I had 0 desire to live instead of a t4 in a location I love.  U.S. News just preys on naive people who are starting out in law school and leads people to make terrible decisions. If someone can give me one good thing about U.S. News or any point in rankings in anything let me know.

The only rankings that make any shred of sense are for sports because at least they play each other head to head in a competitive game. The winner then gets ranked higher the loser gets ranked lower. A score is a pretty objective fact and even then rankings in BCS/ NCAA tournament etc get screwed up and are controversial. If they can't properly rank people who play head to head games with a definite winner and loser how in God's name can they make rankings properly on something as subjective and personal as a school????????????????

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
If you are that fickle then I expect you to get a divorse in less than a year of marriage. "It all went downhill when out pastor kept pushing us to encourage people to avoid divorse and then the last nail in the coffin was when my husband sent an email asking me not to leave him, how dare he try to encourage me to do things that I should want to do anyways, I hope he burns in hell!!!!"

Wow, pretty hostile response. I don't think your comparison of Cooley to marriage & divorce  works (and by the way, I've been married for more than a year). It doesn't work because staying in a marriage is a positive thing (some exceptions apply), while peer pressuring students to not take better options, such as transferring to a better and likely cheaper school that will give them better opportunities, is a negative thing. Recruiting by word of mouth is fine, and isn't something I have a problem with. What I have a problem with is students being pushed to promote a school that they might not really want to recommend based on a threat of a tuition increase.