Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not to pile on or offend the Cooley students, but  (Read 2776 times)

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
Not to pile on or offend the Cooley students, but
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
I was just reading this article I came across, and part about asking their students to recruit other students- just comes across so sleazy for a school- let alone a Law School. Anyway draw your own conclusion

"It is in everyone’s interest to recruit new first-year students and to retain them in the second and third year."

Read the rest here:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/10/enrollment-drops-tuition-rises-at-thomas-m--cooley-law-school/

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not to pile on or offend the Cooley students, but
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Honestly I think all law schools raise their tuition every year. Every single UC for undergrad and law school at least has raised their tuition signficanlty this year including UCLA,  UC Berkley, UC Davis, UC Hastings etc.  Inflation etc makes schools raise their tuition even when the economy is doing well and it is particulary increasing now. I would be willing to bet money that every schools tuition has gone up over the last 5 years including undergraduate schools. I have honestly never heard of a school dropping tuition. My cheap undergrad's tuition even went up over the 4 years I was there and that happened to I think everybody I know at every undergrad.

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
Honestly I think all law schools raise their tuition every year. Every single UC for undergrad and law school at least has raised their tuition signficanlty this year including UCLA,  UC Berkley, UC Davis, UC Hastings etc.  Inflation etc makes schools raise their tuition even when the economy is doing well and it is particulary increasing now. I would be willing to bet money that every schools tuition has gone up over the last 5 years including undergraduate schools. I have honestly never heard of a school dropping tuition. My cheap undergrad's tuition even went up over the 4 years I was there and that happened to I think everybody I know at every undergrad.

I am not sure I understand- it is not that they had to raise tuition, it was the way they basically say- well if you don't your tuition to go up get us more students...

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:33:37 PM »
I think my favorite part of the article was this line: Thomas M. Cooley Law School — ranked #12  among ABA accredited schools, according to Thomas M. Cooley Law School. I agree with the student in the article that the fact the Cooley publishes it's own rankings and rates itself so high every time makes it look bad. I also think that receiving an e-mail like that one would push me to transfer.

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
I think my favorite part of the article was this line: Thomas M. Cooley Law School — ranked #12  among ABA accredited schools, according to Thomas M. Cooley Law School. I agree with the student in the article that the fact the Cooley publishes it's own rankings and rates itself so high every time makes it look bad. I also think that receiving an e-mail like that one would push me to transfer.

LMAO- agreed on all points!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
No school has to raise tuition, but they do. Starbucks doesn't have to charge 4.00 for a cup of coffee either, but they do. I am just saying all schools increase tuition all the time. Cooley is no exception there is no need to attack Cooley for doing the exact same thing that every other school does.

The reality is all law schools from Harvard to Cooley are concerned about money first and foremost.  They are all business each and every institution and they will charge as much as they can without raising to many eyebrows simply supply and demand. Honestly, if you don't pay your tuition at Harvard the results will be the same as if you don't pay tuition at Cooley. 

I am sure Harvard & Stanford have also increased their tuition this year. I think at every school it goes up annually at least nominally.

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »
No school has to raise tuition, but they do. Starbucks doesn't have to charge 4.00 for a cup of coffee either, but they do. I am just saying all schools increase tuition all the time. Cooley is no exception there is no need to attack Cooley for doing the exact same thing that every other school does.

The reality is all law schools from Harvard to Cooley are concerned about money first and foremost.  They are all business each and every institution and they will charge as much as they can without raising to many eyebrows simply supply and demand. Honestly, if you don't pay your tuition at Harvard the results will be the same as if you don't pay tuition at Cooley. 

I am sure Harvard & Stanford have also increased their tuition this year. I think at every school it goes up annually at least nominally.

Who cares? It wasn't the point of my post. I clarified that for you once in another post- yet your still having trouble...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:33:48 PM »
My problem is your calling Cooley sleazy for doing something that every single school in America does.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
It's not the fact that Cooley is raising tuition. It's Cooley's pushing students to peer pressure each other to stay and to recommend a school they might not otherwise recommend under the threat of a tuition increase that is "sleazy".

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
The reality is all law schools from Harvard to Cooley are concerned about money first and foremost. 

I'm pretty sure Harvard's first concern is not money, but reputation.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)