Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 1147 times)

PTamke

• View Profile
    • Email
General Questions
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
It looks like people haven't been posting much on Pepperdine for quite some time, so I'm hoping to drum up some renewed interest :)

Obviously it's a beautiful (and expensive) place, but what is the culture like in Malibu?  Philadelphia is really all I know, and I have a sneaky suspician that it's a little different out west.  Are the people friendly?  How competitive do you think the students are?  Let's say that you have some free time (crazy, I know).  What do you do for fun?  I like the beach, but my skin can only take so many UV rays and I would need some other distraction before long.  Let's say I'm a bartender part-time.  Do you think it's going to be hard to find work?

I know Pepperdine is a religious institution, and I've heard that it can be fairly conservative.  Does it really make a difference?  Would the atmosphere be welcoming (or at least tolerant) of a gay student?  What's the deal with Kevin Starr?  I've heard some colorful opinions of the man.

Is there anything else I should know?  I really have no idea what else to ask because its all very foreign to me.  I know the numbers and all the information on the website.  I'm trying to get a feel for what life is actually like for a Pepperdine student.  Any and all help is very much appreciated!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: General Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
I am basically from Malibu and my mom worked at Pepperdine. I lived in New York, which is not exactly not Philly, but I could definitely see a difference between East and West Coast.  Different is not bad, but it is noticeable.

Anyways, I actually worked for a couple attorneys than went to Pepperdine and I could  give you their e-mails if you wanted.  In regards to the area Malibu is pretty yuppie and probably less tolerant of a gay student than the Bay Area would be, but L.A/Malibu is by no means intolerant. Malibu is technically in L.A., but L.A. is unlike any other city I have been in that it is so massive that having grown up there for 18 years I still don't know even know how to get around all of it. It just spreads out FOREVER and Malibu is at the very northern part of L.A. and a long drive to the city Parts of L.A. Westwood, Santa Monica etc where law firms and more tolerant people would live.  I think Pepperdine is gorgeous, but a drawback would probably be it's location so far away from everything and it would be pretty hard to get to your internships etc. L.A. Traffic is horrible and you have to drive up this crazy canyon to even get to the freeway that connects to anything in L.A. 

Honestly, if you are gay and moving out West I would think San Francisco would be an easier transition because I would say 30 to 40% of the people in the city are gay and it is also easier to get around because they have a public transportation system that L.A. does not have.  I go to GGU in San Francisco and I have loved it so far and everything has worked out. If you have any questions about GGU I could answer them, but that is the only law school I know in depth to give any advice about.  Honestly, when looking on boards like this a lot of people talk out of their ass about schools they have never been to and do not listen to it. Ask people that actually go to the school and get real insight. I can speak to the culture etc of Malibu, because I grew up around there, but I will not say anything positive or negative about the law school because I don't attend it.