Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: worst case scenario  (Read 1219 times)

exspes

• View Profile
worst case scenario
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
Worst Case scenario, I fall into academic probation or worse academic dismissal.
If so, do any of the online law schools still accept transfers with credit for credits earned?
I heard that once you get above 1L at an ABA school, that you are exempt from the fybx(even if not still in good standing) so, if I made it half way through 2L would that work?

Any info from people with knowledge on how online law schools work would be greatly appreciated. Its my last ditch plan(that I hope not to have to use) but am tossing it out there for info just in case.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: worst case scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:13:24 AM »
The California Bar will evaluate your transcripts for, I think, $100.00.  If you get through 2L, I think you would be exempt from taking the FYLSX.  Then, when you sign up with an online law school and get your JD, you can take the California Bar exam.  You would also register with the California Bar as a distance learning law student.  If you leave the brick and mortar law school, some law schools will only let you even apply if you haven't flunked out.  In Florida, at least, if your credits are too low to be transferable, you will not even be eligible to apply to the law schools here.  That's what I found out.  In spite of the fact that I left law school in 1-9-8-8!!!
Angie

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
I'm still in good standing, but thinking WCS, just to be safe.
Have you tried the online ones?
How far did you get in 1988?

The California Bar will evaluate your transcripts for, I think, $100.00.  If you get through 2L, I think you would be exempt from taking the FYLSX.  Then, when you sign up with an online law school and get your JD, you can take the California Bar exam.  You would also register with the California Bar as a distance learning law student.  If you leave the brick and mortar law school, some law schools will only let you even apply if you haven't flunked out.  In Florida, at least, if your credits are too low to be transferable, you will not even be eligible to apply to the law schools here.  That's what I found out.  In spite of the fact that I left law school in 1-9-8-8!!!

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »
I accepted a scholarship from Mercer School of Law in 1987.  The catch was that I had to maintain an A average during the first year.  I only got an A in Con Law.  There was no other financial aide available at the time. 

I studied under California Southern School of Law.  I only got a 60 on the first try.  I would have passed the second time, but I didn't have enough money to pay for the FYLSX exam, flight and hotel expenses.  I live in Florida.

At Mercer we had to read 150 pages a night.  At California Southern, 50 pages a day.

Right now, I'm studying to be a paralegal online.  After I pass the NALA exam, I'll apply to be a Florida Registered Paralegal.  I plan to take the test in 2011.  To get a competitive edge, I also started writing articles on the law and post them on http://works.bepress.com.
Angie

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
I take it you plan to go back to lawschool eventually though right, isn't that why you post here?
Paralegal is cool, but I get the vive from you that you'd still prefer the JD if you could. Do you have any plans for it? There has to some way out there to make it happen. You could retry online lawschool while working and most lawfirms offer vacations(time it to take the fybx in cali) and make sure to prep better to pass now that you have experience at it, use the money from the job to pay for the trip, and then once you fully graduate take the CA bar and after passing it move there to work at a firm as a lawyer with 4 years paralegal experience. Wouldn't that work?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
I'll see what happens after I become a Registered Paralegal.  You are right.  I do prefer a J.D.  After I get a job as a paralegal for the federal government, it may be possible to go to law school part time.  Whatever you do, try to stay in the law school you are in now.  You may not get a second chance unless you take the paralegal route first. 
Angie