Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 173 LSAT, question with my GPA  (Read 5160 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 173 LSAT, question with my GPA
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
This thread went to hell :)

that being said, I went to Rutgers University in New Brunswick.  Not Ivy League, but not some random school.  As for softs, I am a CASA, work at a law firm, started a club at school, organize and run fundraisers, and just to show I am different, I skydive.

That being said, I was planning on peppering basically all the top T-14 schools.  I don't mind others opinion, no matter how blunt.  Actually, I would prefer to not get into a higher  ranked school in the T-14.  So when I finish at the top of a lower ranked school in the T-14, I'll know the others made a mistakes.  Motivation always helps.

One lesson I learned that I imparted on others is everything you do matters.  One bad year when I was not in the mind frame to go to school because "I knew everything" is coming back to bite me in the rear.  Where i go is important for my ego, yes.  More importantly, I want to go to a place where I will have job choices after.  I believe the T-14 will do that for me no matter where I land

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
One last thing, would a higher LSAT score matter?  I believe I can improve.  My practice last 5 practice tests (including the Dec 09) were 176-177.  The night before the LSAT, I had a family member die. I thought I took it okay.  Although on the first section of the test had over half the questions I got wrong.  after that i settled in and did well.  So retaking and improving is a possibility.  I didn't think that an increase would help much with admissions, only $$.  Am I wrong?

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »
MVP are safeties for the OP and you are seriously underestimating how easy it is to get into MVP with OP's numbers and three years of almost 4.0.  CCN are the targets.  If OP continues to post after his admissions cycle you will see I'm right as long as OP does not make any mistakes in the app.  I don't think HYS are good chances now that we know the college but H might bite.. tho it is unlikely.  I also think this past season was impossible to predict and is not a good indicator of the future but I am speaking with a seminormal economy in mind.  This could go back and forth all day but my last 2 c.

CCN: Columbia, Chicago, NYU
CLS: Columbia Law School
MVP: Michigan, Virginia, Penn
URM: Under-represented minority

The first thing that is wrong is that you picked stats for the toughest admissions season in the last several decades.  The second thing that is wrong is that you are severely discounting OP's three stellar years and one bad year.  The third ting that is wrong is that you and others are severly discounting the strength of applicant's college and your distorted concept that only HYP get a boost.  OP does have a legit but not good shot at HYS if OP goes to a respectable school.  Even taking the HYS discussion off the table you are still undeniably wrong about the chances of the hypothetical student getting into CCN.  In no place have I gone off table since the original post was also about chances at a top 10 where you replied OP should be targeting MVP rather than schools ranked above....WRONG
I won't count on any 0L, current student, or lawyer to concede their point so I suppose this exercise is pointless.

You do understand the difference between a target and a reach, don't you? I didn't say that the OP shouldn't apply to schools ranked above MVP, I simply said that MVP was the target range. By all means, the OP should apply to higher ranked schools. If I was the OP, I'd personally only apply to CCN as my reaches, MVP as my targets, and the rest of the T-14 as my safety range.

Your posts are white noise. Since you've made it clear that you're guessing and haven't actually been through the process, then trying to talk sense to you is like beating one's head into a brick wall. I'd prefer to do other things.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Jamie, let's make up and be friends  :-*   Do you really want me to die in a car fire?  :'(

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
Funny how one semester can kill you.  I failed every class one semester because I was all about making money at 19 years old.  I was on a scholarship so never thought about withdrawing.  It was'nt my money I was losing.  Nearly a decade later and it is coming back to haunt me. 

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
Funny how one semester can kill you.  I failed every class one semester because I was all about making money at 19 years old.  I was on a scholarship so never thought about withdrawing.  It was'nt my money I was losing.  Nearly a decade later and it is coming back to haunt me.

Everyone makes mistakes.  Your 3.98 since returning to school is spectacular and schools will take that into consideration.  Admissions committees are made up of people who will read your story in detail.  You should create a lawschoolnumbers page, too.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
That being said, I was planning on peppering basically all the top T-14 schools. 

I think this is the right way to go.  Maybe it's best to leave it at that.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)