Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 173 LSAT, question with my GPA  (Read 4730 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 173 LSAT, question with my GPA
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
I'm sorry, I really hate to be a dream crusher, but I'd wager to say you have absolutely no shot at HYS with your LSAC GPA. Your best bet will be to try for MVP on down, with special attention to the schools who seem to care more about the whole applicant (Michigan) or value work experience (Northwestern) or like high LSAT scores (Georgetown).
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
I disagree though it depends a lot on quality of college.  OP's overall gpa of 3.5 is solid and gpa of 3.98 since screwing up is stellar.  H takes a few people like OP every year and S less so and Y even less so.  Only chance at Y is if college is good with good softs.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
and OP, good luck

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
I disagree though it depends a lot on quality of college.  OP's overall gpa of 3.5 is solid and gpa of 3.98 since screwing up is stellar.  H takes a few people like OP every year and S less so and Y even less so.  Only chance at Y is if college is good with good softs.

No, not really. A 3.5 is not solid when it comes to law schools. In life, yes. Law schools, especially the ones discussed? No. Quality of school comes in when you're talking about HYP. The 3.98 is great, but unfortunately that's not the GPA that schools use or report to USNWR or elsewhere. The GPA is especially not "good" ITE when spots at law schools are even more competitive because of the glut of people applying. HYS might take a couple of people (a handful, at maximum) who have similar scores to the OP, but nothing in his first post suggests that he's in a position to stand out like those individuals are. Plus, see the following:

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Granted, I recognize that is not all the applicants, but it's probably a representative sample. Also, look at http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11 which has a 3.5/173 as a DENY at HY and a Weak Consider at S. Absent some sort of stellar *something* in the OP's background, he has a better shot taking the $87 to Vegas than getting into, minimally, HY.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »
I don't know your background but you are still being too harsh.  You are the type of person I hope never ends up on an admissions board.  3.5 from a quality school and a 173 LSAT already gives a great but not automatic shot at CCN.  It is amusing that you equate quality school with HYP.  A 3.5 from any of the Ivy League schools and other comparable schools and a 173 LSAT makes a very good numbers app.  Adding the fact that the OP only ruined one year and has a 3.98 the rest of the years makes his chances at HLS much greater if quality of college is decent to good.

You are right that there is not anything exceptional in OP's soft factors that he wrote in the original post, so Y is out and chances are slim at S.  OP still has reasonable shot at H and should apply thinking he has a legitimate shot.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:18:24 PM »
I don't know your background but you are still being too harsh.  You are the type of person I hope never ends up on an admissions board.  3.5 from a quality school and a 173 LSAT already gives a great but not automatic shot at CCN.  It is amusing that you equate quality school with HYP.  A 3.5 from any of the Ivy League schools and other comparable schools and a 173 LSAT makes a very good numbers app.  Adding the fact that the OP only ruined one year and has a 3.98 the rest of the years makes his chances at HLS much greater if quality of college is decent to good.

You are right that there is not anything exceptional in OP's soft factors that he wrote in the original post, so Y is out and chances are slim at S.  OP still has reasonable shot at H and should apply thinking he has a legitimate shot.

A great shot at CCN? No. A shot? Yes. CCN is most likely a reach. Again, absent a story, those ones will be hard.

You seem to be taking this very personally for some reason. I personally don't care if the OP chooses to apply to every T-14 school. But it's best to be realistic about the situation and I don't believe it's helpful for applicants to fluff them up and have them think that they've got better chances at schools than they do. I personally don't think that HYP are the only quality schools, but those are the schools that get the boost.

In any event, I'm not going to sit and list my resume, but there's a reason why I said what I did in this thread. OP can either choose to listen to someone who has been through the process, or listen to a 0L. Up to him.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
Where did you go to law school and what were your numbers?  I don't want to go through all your posts to find them.  I'm not taking it personally at all. I just think you are wrong and have a very negative view that does not reflect reality.

Let me ask you one question that should clear it all up for everyone.

How good of a chance at CCN do you think of the following hypothetical person?

Columbia undergrad/3.5 with 3.9 sophomore through senior years/173 LSAT/some work experience? 

Keep in mind I stated from the beginning that undergraduate school will matter a lot and we don't know which school OP went to.

A great shot at CCN? No. A shot? Yes. CCN is most likely a reach. Again, absent a story, those ones will be hard.

You seem to be taking this very personally for some reason. I personally don't care if the OP chooses to apply to every T-14 school. But it's best to be realistic about the situation and I don't believe it's helpful for applicants to fluff them up and have them think that they've got better chances at schools than they do. I personally don't think that HYP are the only quality schools, but those are the schools that get the boost.

In any event, I'm not going to sit and list my resume, but there's a reason why I said what I did in this thread. OP can either choose to listen to someone who has been through the process, or listen to a 0L. Up to him.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:46 AM »
I don't think undergrad school matters all that much.

HYS are worth applying to, though I think they're reaches.

CCN are high targets.

I don't think grade trend counts for all that much.  And 3.5 isn't great for law school.  Jamie Stringer's assessment isn't particularly harsh from what I can tell.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
Flat out wrong but not as harsh as jamie.  My hypothetical has a great shot at at least one of CCN if not all.

Undergraduate school matters a lot.  A 3.5 GPA from a mediocre state school is vastly different from a 3.5 from Columbia.  CCN may take a small handful of students from mediocre state school while they may take 20-40 students from Columbia College.  Grade trends such as OP's do matter.  One bad year and 3 years of almost 4.0.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 05:36:49 AM »
Undergraduate school matters a lot. 

What's your basis for saying this?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)