Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan or Northwestern?  (Read 1038 times)

LACupcake

• View Profile
Michigan or Northwestern?
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
I was accepted at both as a 2L transfer and I'm honestly torn.  I'd much rather live in Chicago (and would love to work there long term) but I don't mind college town life for a couple of years.  My main concern is the academic experience, how employable I'll be upon graduation, and which is considered a stronger school nationally.  I applied to both because they have strong business/corporate law programs, which is definitely what I want to do.  I know Michigan is ranked higher but I also feel like I might fit in better with the Northwestern student body (I worked in finance for several years before returning to school).  What would you do?  Where would you go? 

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan or Northwestern?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:20 PM »
You should ask yourself what you would like to do after school, and where.  While Michigan is ranked higher, NW is a very good school as well, and has excellent name recognition in the Midwest.  In Chicago in particular, I don't believe Michigan would give you any particular advantage over Northwestern.  Also, if you plan on staying in Chicago, Northwestern will put you in a good position to work relationships during the school year.

On the other hand, if you plan on heading to the coasts, or to academia, then Michigan would probably make a difference - it has been my experience that Northwestern is very regional, and academic hires are very rank-conscious.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
You should ask yourself what you would like to do after school, and where.  While Michigan is ranked higher, NW is a very good school as well, and has excellent name recognition in the Midwest.  In Chicago in particular, I don't believe Michigan would give you any particular advantage over Northwestern.  Also, if you plan on staying in Chicago, Northwestern will put you in a good position to work relationships during the school year.

On the other hand, if you plan on heading to the coasts, or to academia, then Michigan would probably make a difference - it has been my experience that Northwestern is very regional, and academic hires are very rank-conscious.

I assume you mean very regional relative to Michigan.

Is there a cost difference?  (I know, I sound like a broken record.)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

LACupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
No cost difference whatsoever (although an obvious cost of living difference).  I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of the general reputations within the legal community and if I would be significantly better served with a JD from one school over the other.  I really appreciate any thoughts/input you have because I'm pretty unfamiliar with markets outside of California; although Chicago sounds great, I don't know anyone there and I'm not necessarily married to the idea of working there.  It seems like the overwhelming advice across the board is always "go to the highest ranked school that accepts you" and because these two are ranked so close I am unsure if corporate firms would favor one over the other.  Thanks for helping me out!

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »

I assume you mean very regional relative to Michigan.

Indeed I did.  Michigan isn't exactly famous coast to coast either, but IMO its reputation reaches further than does Northwestern's reputation - and, of course, Michigan has a nice high ranking to help along any coastal folks who might not recognize the school by name.