Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WAITLIST AT LSU...  (Read 5930 times)

RachelK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WAITLIST AT LSU...
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
I'm black, but I really try not to rely on that. Though, I must admit, looking at those stats did make me feel a little better. I have a 3.75 GPA and graduated with Honors, and i'm getting between 154-159 on LSAT under timed conditions. I plan on taking it in October and would ideally like to go a top 35 school (according to U.S news rankings).  I don't really know how realistic that is but it is just really frustrating because I have done all the right things. Worked my butt off through college, graduated from the University of Iowa, got involved with student orgs, held leadership positions, and this one test is really screwing me over. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself but it is just really nerve-racking.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
I'm black, but I really try not to rely on that. Though, I must admit, looking at those stats did make me feel a little better. I have a 3.75 GPA and graduated with Honors, and i'm getting between 154-159 on LSAT under timed conditions. I plan on taking it in October and would ideally like to go a top 35 school (according to U.S news rankings).  I don't really know how realistic that is but it is just really frustrating because I have done all the right things. Worked my butt off through college, graduated from the University of Iowa, got involved with student orgs, held leadership positions, and this one test is really screwing me over. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself but it is just really nerve-racking.

It is understandably nerve-wracking:  the LSAT is one of the most important tests of your life because the LSAT is given approximately the same weight as your four-year performance in college.  Since you are a black female, PLEASE do yourself a favor and indicate this fact to admission committees (As you can see, OP shot himself in the foot by not marking his URM status).  Also, when you look at those graphs, focus on the lower outliers - you get an enormous bump in admissions for your URM status.  There is nothing shameful in claiming URM status.  Good luck in your search.

Edit:
Take a look at this chart for GULC:  http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
You see those green outliers (159 LSAT, 3.7 GPA / 160, 3.69 / 165, 3.11).  Those are all URMs.  If I were you, I'd rely on those to determine whether I should apply to "x" school based on your LSAT.  Looking at the graph, if I were you, I'd apply to GULC as long as I got anything over a 157 LSAT.

RachelK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »
Thanks John!

I have 2 months to prepare, with more dedication and motivation, I think  I can do this. I have already jumped 10 solid points already (my original score was a 144 ugh). But I studied consistently for over a year and I believe I can make another 3 to 4 point jump just gotta give it my all from now till October. crossing my fingers.

Rach