Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WAITLIST AT LSU...  (Read 5582 times)

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
WAITLIST AT LSU...
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »
Waitlisted at LSU :(  Number 1 Choice!

I've sent in an additional LOR, a LOCI (where I said I would pay deposit and tuition immediately... pathetic, yes I know, but it's my number 1 choice), and had multiple people call on my behalf.  Is there ANYTHING else I can do?  I was thinking about e-mailing the dean of admissions (who I know) but I don't want to annoy them or irritate them.

I've been told that they should be going to the waitlist soon, and then I was told today that they're deciding when/if to go to the waitlist.  I figured I could e-mail the dean and just inquire about the progress, but I don't want to seem pushy.  Any t houghts on how to go about this?  or anything else I can do?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WAITLIST AT LSU...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
I just skimmed through your other posts.  It seems as though you have a 3.01 GPA, a 151 LSAT, and have indicated that you are non-URM on your application. 

If all of the foregoing is true, how could you not expect to be on the wait list? 

The median LSAT of entering students is 157; average GPA is 3.44. (see http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=aboutlsulaw.lsatgpa )

25% should be about 3.2 GPA with 155 LSAT.

Now, place yourself on this chart and see where you fall:  http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

The only thing you can do now is retake the LSAT.

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
I never said that I was surprised to be on the waitlist, so putting words in my mouth that were never said is quite rude.  Actually, I was ecstatic not be rejected from LSU.  I partied way too hard in undergrad and I just didn't do well on the LSAT, unfortunately.  Please don't lecture me with your uppity attitude.  I am not dumb and I fully understand that my numbers are not good enough to get in on my own, which is why I was ASKING if anyone had any additional advice to help my case with the committee. 

If you have nothing constructive to say, keep your arrogant mouth shut.  Pointing out the obvious is not attractive.  Thank you for responding though, and if you have anything helpful to contribute, please don't hesitate to do so.  I am a dedicated person, now that I've grown up and seen the error of my partying ways, and I would like to succeed in law school and beyond.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »
I never said that I was surprised to be on the waitlist, so putting words in my mouth that were never said is quite rude.  Actually, I was ecstatic not be rejected from LSU.  I partied way too hard in undergrad and I just didn't do well on the LSAT, unfortunately.  Please don't lecture me with your uppity attitude.  I am not dumb and I fully understand that my numbers are not good enough to get in on my own, which is why I was ASKING if anyone had any additional advice to help my case with the committee. 

If you have nothing constructive to say, keep your arrogant mouth shut.  Pointing out the obvious is not attractive.  Thank you for responding though, and if you have anything helpful to contribute, please don't hesitate to do so.  I am a dedicated person, now that I've grown up and seen the error of my partying ways, and I would like to succeed in law school and beyond.

RETAKE THE GOD DAMNED LSAT (see post above re: "The only thing you can do now is retake the LSAT.").  Short of that, nothing you do is going to get you in.  You have to be at least somewhat competitive.  Sorry if my post came off as rude, but as you said, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Just a quick question... why didn't I get rejected to begin with?  Truthfully, if I"m not somewhat or somehow competitive, then why did they waitlist me?  Seems like a waste of time and space to me.  Also, I didn't catch this before, but I am a URM.

And I've read through YOUR posts, you had probably the lowest LSAT at your school for your class, and you were waitlisted?  Correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't you have been in a similar circumstance?

I took the LSAT three times, so obviously I can't take it again.  It's unfortunate.  I took a class and studied my behind off, but I just didn't get it.  :(

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
Even if you ARE URM, you indicated in another post that you checked the "I am white" box on your applications.  Therefore you get absolutely NO URM bump in the admissions process.

No no no no no no no no no no no no I will most definitely check that I am white because I am.  I would never put that I am 100 percent Native American because that is a total lie, and that would just be dumb.  Please don't misunderstand, I just want more information on this because I had no idea that me being any percentage Native American could help my admissions chances.

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
That is fantastic for you John (I'm being sincere about this.  I love people that succeed). And I checked both boxes, since I consider myself to be both.  However, as you have no pertinent advice to give me (other than doing something that is not possible, unfortunately), I will ask you to not post considering you don't know anything about my softs or connections and seem to think that I had weak softs and zero connections, when this is utterly untrue.  Thank you for your opinions though, and please have a successful life as an attorney :)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
I sincerely hope you get off the wait list.  But, since you've run out of options, you should obviously pester the sh1t out of the Dean.  When he's taking his trash out tonight, you should travel to Louisiana with all of your college textbooks in tote, dress in a suit, and serenade him with the LSU fight song.  This will undoubtedly get you off the wait list as you will appear both studious and enthusiastic.

Seriously though, with all of the information that I have gathered and you have provided me, that's all the advice I can give.  Otherwise, please feel free to post your "softs" or "connections" so that I may offer an alternative course of action. 

You can't just contact admissions with nothing new to say except "I'm enthusiastic about attending LSU, am I off the waitlist yet?!" Because you've offered nothing new, you still remain in the same position.  You have to write an addendum explaining something new that you accomplished that has not already been included in your application.  :D

RachelK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
Hey John,

Quick Question. Are those links you posted with law school data credible? if so, thank you sooo much for posting them. This gives me a much better idea about where I am and how much better I have to do if I want to get into law school.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Hey John,

Quick Question. Are those links you posted with law school data credible? if so, thank you sooo much for posting them. This gives me a much better idea about where I am and how much better I have to do if I want to get into law school.

The first link I posted comes straight from the LSU law website - those stats are collected by the ABA and are as credible as it gets.  As for the lawschool numbers website, there are so many people inputting data into that website that any outliers or people misreporting their stats do not severely affect the stats when the graph is viewed as a whole.  Unless you are URM, what I recommend you do is take the lowest admits that are not outliers and draw a line (you will notice that a straight line can often be drawn separating the waitlisted students and the lowest admits).  If you are above that line, you are competitive at that particular school.  If you are URM (black), you can rely on the outliers to make your determination.

Click on this link to see the chart for LSU Law:
http://i35.tinypic.com/2j35tav.jpg