Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So, I assume I have no chance at getting into Law School this year...  (Read 7381 times)

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
Applied to three schools...accepted to one (Touro), but declined offer of admission, hoping to see results from the other two (Touro wanted an $800 deposit). The other two schools, Hofstra and CUNY Law both waitlisted me. Got the letter from Hofstra about a month ago and the one from CUNY today (have to send out form tomorrow). Sent LOCI and extra letter of reccomendation to Hofstra and havent acted on CUNY yet.

I assume that I have no chance at getting into either school now? Since I got waitlisted so late and the school probably has hundreds of waitlisted students for every spot, as well as the fact that students probably dont decline to go to either school enough to open up extra seats.

Am I right in my analysis? Any hope for me, or should I just look at another career path for the year?
The problem with applying next year is that I will need to get new letters of reccomendation...somehow and since I already had professors write them this year, I wont have anyone to do it next year as I wont be in college anymore. My numbers really hurt me...149 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Why would you need new letters of recommendation?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
Why would you need new letters of recommendation?

Hmm, perhaps I am mistaken, but I read somewhere that schools want new letters of reccomendation if you are applying to the same school again. I am not sure where I saw this, perhaps in the actually policy of the schools I looked at.

It really doesnt help me that I have no luck finding a job so far...and dont want to sit on my behind all year long.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waitlists can move quite a bit.  You gotta figure that most people probably apply to 10+ schools and get accepted to maybe half of those.  If these are about right then on-average most schools will see a yield of about 20%.   I'd send a lOCI to the cuny if its a place you are interested in - basically make sure they know you are really interested as schools are always worried about their yield.  It is quite late in the season, I don't know if that's good or bad.  Maybe these adcoms have just been slacking ;)

If no luck this term maybe think about re-taking the last if you feel you could do better with a few months of serious study. A 3.8 isn't bad, but your lsat is killing you.
HLS 2010

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
I really dont feel I can do better than a 149, probably only worse.

I studied my behind off to get that grade for about 6 months of daily study for a couple of hours each day.

I did just about every sample test I could take. I averaged 150 on those tests. Basically, I am a horrible, horrible, standardized test taker. My high school grades were mostly A's and B's, yet my SAT barely hit 1000 (back when the max score was 1600). Yet, I got mostly A's in college despite the low SAT. I studied for ages on that test too.
I dont really know how much more I can do for that test...I just feel I'll do worse rather than better. At most I'd get a 151, that was my highest practice score test...

Thanks for the suggestions...I will try to send a LOCI to CUNY, I just dont want to annoy them too much.

apples3000

• View Profile
When did you decline touro? Why didnt you take touro up on the offer?

ShargSkunk

• View Profile
When did you decline touro? Why didnt you take touro up on the offer?

I declined the automatically by not sending in the $700 deposit that they wanted by the middle of June because 1) I didnt really have $700 at the moment 2) I was hoping to get into CUNY because that was always my #1 choice.

:(

ltaylorgsu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: So, I assume I have no chance at getting into Law School this year...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
You still have time to apply to other schools, even now.  Never give up! 

Nic Benny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
I was wondering what happened?  Are you heading to law school this year?

Don't be discouraged - a friend of mine scored a 146 and had a 3.6 gpa and got into Rutgers-Newark, New York Law and St. John's.

Don't give up! You should really apply to more schools, if you decide (or decided) to apply again.

Applied to three schools...accepted to one (Touro), but declined offer of admission, hoping to see results from the other two (Touro wanted an $800 deposit). The other two schools, Hofstra and CUNY Law both waitlisted me. Got the letter from Hofstra about a month ago and the one from CUNY today (have to send out form tomorrow). Sent LOCI and extra letter of reccomendation to Hofstra and havent acted on CUNY yet.

I assume that I have no chance at getting into either school now? Since I got waitlisted so late and the school probably has hundreds of waitlisted students for every spot, as well as the fact that students probably dont decline to go to either school enough to open up extra seats.

Am I right in my analysis? Any hope for me, or should I just look at another career path for the year?
The problem with applying next year is that I will need to get new letters of reccomendation...somehow and since I already had professors write them this year, I wont have anyone to do it next year as I wont be in college anymore. My numbers really hurt me...149 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.

mycousinvinny13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »
I go to Hofstra as an undergrad and I can assure you that Hofstra Law is in one of the worst buildings on campus. The library is outdated and there's two separate sections in the basement that are NOT connected for whatever reason.

I had a class in my undergrad years that required me to go to the law school and research cases. When I was there I noticed students joking around and making so much noise that I had to leave and read the cases at the undergrad library. It feels like students at Hofstra do not take it seriously and I personally would not want to be around people like that. Also there reputation is not that much better than Touro even though they are ranked in TT.

Me personally would attend Touro or Cuny and try to transfer next year to a better law school like St. John's or  Brooklyn.

This is just my personal opinion about Hofstra Law and if you are not given a  decent scholarship (a lot of students loose after there first year) than DO NOT attend Hofstra Law.

Good Luck!