Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for maximum impact on faculty,staff etc in one year  (Read 412 times)

Whymista

• View Profile
    • Email
I am transferring into the University of Texas at Arlington and will only be there 1.5years as I am taking 18hrs both full semesters, 6 in the winter session and 12 in the summer.

What would be the best way to make a lasting impression upon the school from your experiences in undergrad in a short time?  Also what clubs or associations do have you all seen seem to be the most influential when stated on resumes.  I obviously understand that spending as much one on one time with my professor, being active in my learning and keeping an open line of communication are essential but what are some of the not so common sense things that you only know or realize after being through it?

My major is philosophy pre-law/minor in psych if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Zaidon,NWS,Fallujah, Amaryah,Farris Town
Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suggestions for maximum impact on faculty,staff etc in one year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
As long as you can get 3 LOCs and a good gpa law schools don't give a crap what you do in undergrad as best I can tell. Do what makes sense in its own right.
HLS 2010

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
who cares about lasting impressions.  First and foremost get the best grades you can and form some meaningful relationships with appropriate faculty.  A bunch of clubs and activities will just detract from grades.

Whymista

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
who cares about lasting impressions.  First and foremost get the best grades you can and form some meaningful relationships with appropriate faculty.  A bunch of clubs and activities will just detract from grades.

I don't actually care about lasting relationships however I was concerned about making sure I would be able to get LORs from professors and faculty.  I had read on a few forums that depending on what groups or associations you were with that could help.

I've got a 3.5 now and on track to have a 3.7-3.8.
Zaidon,NWS,Fallujah, Amaryah,Farris Town
Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III

Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »
Your extracurriculars will impact your LORs only if the professors writing your LORs are involved in those activities. But targeting those activities to cater to those professors might make them either be suspicious of you (thinking you're brown-nosing, if they're cynical) or they might be glad you're there (if they knew you beforehand and liked you).

ElFieryHabanero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »