Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is There A Point?  (Read 746 times)

ahinz90

• View Profile
Is There A Point?
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
Is there even a point in going to a T3 or T4 school? I see people and have friends that are applying to them but I also keep seeing many ex-law students saying the market sucks and that firms only really hire from T1 and sometimes T2 schools.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is There A Point?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
No they shoot tier 3/4 students on site. The government would rather have homeless bums living and breathing than tier 4 students. Honestly, get first hand knowledge from people at a tier 3/4 you are considering going to. People talk out of their ass on the internet and have no idea what they are talking about most of the time. I have loved my first year at my tier 4 personally and I can say that GGU has worked for me and a number of people that I have met. However, I can't say anything about any other school other than the one I personally attend and even then I can only speak on my own experience. Education in any form is really what YOU make of it.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:12 AM »
Is there even a point in going to a T3 or T4 school? I see people and have friends that are applying to them but I also keep seeing many ex-law students saying the market sucks and that firms only really hire from T1 and sometimes T2 schools.

I don't think the rankings make a huge difference below a certain level (say, the top 25 schools in the country).  I have friends who went to T3 or T4 schools who did pretty well for themselves.  That said, the real problem is the amount of debt people take on to attend these schools.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
The debt is a problem and if you can get into a state school like CUNY or Florida Internatioanl or get a huge scholarship then it is much smarter to go to a tier 4 at a cheap price than a tier 2 at full price.

The debt numbers are outrageous at any school and is somethign to consider. You need to be real sure it is something you want to do before you commit, because that debt will not get rid of itself. However, if it is something you want to a tier 3/4 works fine.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »
The debt is a problem and if you can get into a state school like CUNY or Florida Internatioanl or get a huge scholarship then it is much smarter to go to a tier 4 at a cheap price than a tier 2 at full price  (Unless you get in-state tuition at the following T1-T2 schools:  U. New Mexico, U. Georgia, Georgia State, Louisiana State U, FSU, U Flordia (Levin), U Alabama, U Tenessee, U Wisconsin, U Kansas, U Kentucky, U North Carolina.) .

The debt numbers are outrageous at any school and is somethign to consider. You need to be real sure it is something you want to do before you commit, because that debt will not get rid of itself. However, if it is something you want to a tier 3/4 works fine.

Fixed this for you.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
I did not know all those schools had in-state tuition that is cool. I think getting a degree from a state school in a state you want to live in is the best decision you can make. With cheap tuition they can't rip your scholarship money away from you and that is pretty awesome. 

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »
I did not know all those schools had in-state tuition that is cool. I think getting a degree from a state school in a state you want to live in is the best decision you can make. With cheap tuition they can't rip your scholarship money away from you and that is pretty awesome.

I think people on this board mistake me for an anti-T2 - T4 troll.  I'm all for going to law school as long as the student will be attending either a (1) T-25 at full price or below; or (2) a T1 - T4 where the student will pay less than ~15K /yr tuition (because someone else is footing the bill and you don't have to repay them, you've got a scholarship, you're receiving in-state tuition, etc.), with a solid shot of maintaining the scholarship (assuming you have one), and which has a large alumni base.  If you're not in either category, I don't believe that going to law school is worth it.