Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cleveland state vs. tier 4 in a better place, HELP!!!!!  (Read 1467 times)

batermani2001

• View Profile
    • Email
Cleveland state vs. tier 4 in a better place, HELP!!!!!
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
I need help! i was accepted into cleveland state university and was planning on attending and transferring. I heard transferring is extremely hard so i visited LSAC and applied to a couple of schools in Florida and California. I don't think i want to spend 3 years in Cleveland. I attended Wayne State for undergrad and it sucked! Do you guys think i should go to Ava maria instead of cleveland state? is it a big difference between the two? i have applied to other colleges in florida but they are probably inferior to ava maria. I had an lsat of 156 and a gpa of 3.0. What do you think i should do? I do not know if i will be accepted yet. I am hoping i will be accepted into university of pacific but i think i applied way too late. I was denied acceptance into california western and university of san diego. I was accepted into wayne state but i DO NOT want to go there again! HELP please!

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: Cleveland state vs. tier 4 in a better place, HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
You're considering going to a T4 school rather than a T3 school because the T3 school is located in Cleveland? 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »
Go to school in the location you want to live in after graduation. Tier 4's are fine I go to one and it has worked out great up to this point. I was in a similar dilemma last year and I almost went to Michigan State, which would have been the WORST decision of my life.  Instead I am in California at a tier 4 which has been awesome and I even got a paying internship this summer, which many people from higher ranked schools don't have. Law school really is what you MAKE of it and the rankings are completely irrelevant outside of the top 50 or so schools.  In Florida or California nobody is going to know anything about Cleveland State unless you want to live in Ohio don't go to an Ohio School. If you want to live in California go to law school in California if you want to live in Florida go to school in Florida regradless of the rank unless you are going to Harvard or something.  The reality is almost all law schools are local and my tier 4 in San Francisco does quite well for itself in San Francisco/Bay Area. If I ever want to move out of the area it will be hard, but there are numerous alumni etc in the Bay Area and California doing just fine.

Ave Maria as I understood was not in a great location in Florida, but I have no idea. With your numbers you could get into FIU next year, which is a good school and ridiculously cheap with in-state tuition and it is in Miami.

The bottom line is no ABA school is awful it takes a lot of time for a school to get accredited and the ABA is legitimate organization with actual standards unlike U.S. News Rankings, which is unapproved opinion piece with a idiotic formula. The reality is law schools  teach you the law and when you learn the law you can become a good lawyer. Almost all the B.S. you hear about tier 4's are written by people that have never even attended law school or taken the LSAT. 

batermani2001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Sarajean....yes.
Bigs5068....thank you for the reply, it was very helpful! I just applied to florida international university. I am curious why u said next year... Do you think it will be unlikely that I will be accepted for this fall? I also applied to southwestern in LA.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
Oh I just thought the deadline had past since it is July, but if it is still open then go for it. 

Southwestern was really nice when I walked through. I was surprised I am from L.A. and remembered the area it was in being horrible, but that is where they started building the very failed L.A. Subway system and although the subway system was a failure they pumped a lot of money into the area and it is pretty nice now.

Well I am glad the advice helped I remember the decision like it was yesterday and I am VERY GLAD I did not end up taking the rankings into consideration. It is absolutely retarded to make a distinction between 98 and 114 and there is no reason to change your life around for an obscure pointless ranking based on magazine's subjective opinion that has no approval from any official organization and has one of those idiotic formulas of all time. I was susceptible to it last year myself and I try to warn people on here when I can, because it would have been the WORST decision of my entire life to go to Michigan State. It sounds like it would be a terrible decision for you go to Cleveland State if you have absolutely no desire to live in Cleveland. Well good luck to you.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
Go to school in the location you want to live in after graduation. Tier 4's are fine I go to one and it has worked out great up to this point.
Excellent point.  I responded as I did because, given the geographical range of schools at which the OP had applied, I didn't get the sense the OP knew where he wanted to live after graduation.